STEINER 440

/ STEINER 440 #1  

eddieb1965

Bronze Member
Looks like the new model 440 has alot of the features I want.Wonder what kind of price is on the 4 different engine options for the 440?Anybody else know any particulars? Eddie

/ STEINER 440
Their website doesnt even have anything about it...

/ STEINER 440 #3  
Saw and drove it at my local dealers open house. One step forward, two steps back IMO, I was not that impressed, or at least not enough for me to buy one of those over a Ventrac. Seems like they are just trying to catch up to Ventrac. A few nice features here and there, but some interesting engineering choices that are questionable, time will tell.

As far as pricing, the salesman there said the 25hp Kubota Diesel was $21,000 base price. I think the lowest price was $18,400 for the smaller Air-cooled unit.

Just my opinion, which doesn't mean much :laughing:

/ STEINER 440
There goes me owning one.Most all manufactures think, along with a new model should come a wopping new price.I think the new model is long over due,but the price will be a killer.I also think that in todays economy you need to broaden your marketshare,this wont help in the least.Steiner has already eliminated the entry level 415,now the entry level model will be the 430?I hope all the best for Steiner Turf Products,but looks like I will be keeping my Utilimax for a long time.....

/ STEINER 440 #6  
One of the new features is a foot controlled forward and reverse mechanism. It's about time they did that instead of the hand mounted one. This would be a lot better instead of having to use your hand on the accessory functions for the lift and angle changes.
And they don't mention anyone in the homeowner market buying these but people with "large acreage" is mentioned. And I agree that it can replace all those machines mentioned. I would hope that it can lift more with the loader though as that limitation isn't so good IMO on the current machines.
The pictures make it look longer. I'd like to see one in person to judge that for myself. I do like the idea of 40hp under the hood with larger more powerful drive motors/axles too.

Steve

Attachments

• Steiner w trailer.JPG
    Steiner w trailer.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 2,258
   / STEINER 440 #7  
Its better looking than the 430,however they have priced themselves too high IMO...In this economy they needed to come in a little lower....and while the diesel may be more powerful than the 430s,that isnt saying much,as the 430s only had 15HP at the most even though they had a 21hp label,it was way optimistic,its still too small and lacks the displacement and torque needed.They needed to have the d1105 kubota in it,that would have put the machine at 28hp and 50+ft lbs of torque...perfect for running a 72" deck or heavy work.So once again the diesel will be the one to avoid. I am excited about the heavier axles and dual pumps,these are things I would have loved to have on my 420s...especially as the hours get up there,the pump loosens up and it really would be beneficial to have higher GPM,and duals....a single pump was never enough...The air cooled "40" Kohler (really a 33-35) should be a good performer....

/ STEINER 440 #8  
The pictures make it look longer. I'd like to see one in person to judge that for myself.

I don't know the dimensions but it was quite a bit longer/larger than the 430. (see below)

You may be happy about that foot lever in theory. May be ok on long flat ground, but I would never take that thing on a slope or in tight areas :eek: that is an accident waiting to happen.

@Raw Dodge
I agree on engine, but I believe they were limited on Diesel engines due to EPA regulations and that will be for anyone in this hp range, but you probably know more about it than I do :laughing:.
I was also told that they are using the same axles that Ventrac currently uses and designed years ago. So it should be a good axle, but then again it seems like they are playing catchup/copycat.

After digging a little I found some information on a dealers site.
Steiner - 440-40KO

So same axle that Ventrac designed (Peerless 2600).
430 is 64" the 440 is 86" with the same width :confused: 22" increase in length, wow.
So they definitely made it longer and quite a bit taller, with the same width.

/ STEINER 440 #9  
The 22" increase in length will be welcome,the 420/430 was very tippy with the front end loader or 60/72" deck trying to go downhill and lift the deck for obstructions...i just hope it isnt at the expense of agility because thats one area the 420/430 really shined,they were good in tight spaces,and for getting around trees,especially the older 420s ,before they pulled oil from the rear diff,they steered really tight,the newer 420s had a hard oil pickup line running from the main pump to the rear axle in the way,it limited how tight they turned.I have 1 of each,the old one is a much better trim mower...As for the diesel, i think what it comes down too is space for the engine,with the way they set the engines backwards on the steiners and ventracs the cooling system is right behind the operator controls,and the pto drive needs to be where it is...I tried fitting my kubota d1105 in my ventrac..its 4" too long,simply wont fit without moving radiator rearward or losing cooling fan,neither which are possible...the 31 Briggs Diahatsu gas or diesel is a very compact engine,only 15" long,which is probably why they are the only LC engines in use in them....The Steiners have the same amount of room,so nothing bigger than the 950 will fit in the new tractor...the 430 only could get the d721 in there...not even close to big enough.

/ STEINER 440 #10  
I agree with Raw Dodge about the 430 Diesel. A real disappointment for me, who had dreamed of owning one for years.

I spoke with Steiner. Yes, they addressed most of my issues with the 430 in the design of the 440. Yes, it has a bigger footprint which is unfortunate. I just managed to get my 430 into the back of my short box, three quarter ton. It rides up there rather proudly!

And yes, the price is a killer! Especially since that's only the start, with the attachments threatening to put you in the poor house and the search for used attachments (affordable) in the nut house!

It's really sad, because we desperately need jobs, and yet if something like that was built off-shore, I can't help but think that it would be more affordable.