Power options - Ventrac and Steiner

/ Power options - Ventrac and Steiner #11  
I believe that the 40hp Kohler air cooled engine is a little overrated... It's more like a 33-35hp engine, just like the vanguard 35 v twin... And generac 992 cc 33hp v twin. More importantly then HP rating, look at the torque curve from 2400 to 3600.. I would want an engine that could make it least 50-55 ft lbs of torque thru that whole operating range. As for your 31 turbo diesel over heating., they do run too hot and it's part of the reason those engines just do not last. The non turbo diesel does not overheat...There is very little power difference between the turbo and non turbo models, once again turbo drops a few rpm's its done...

/ Power options - Ventrac and Steiner
I believe that the 40hp Kohler air cooled engine is a little overrated... It's more like a 33-35hp engine, just like the vanguard 35 v twin... And generac 992 cc 33hp v twin. More importantly then HP rating, look at the torque curve from 2400 to 3600.. I would want an engine that could make it least 50-55 ft lbs of torque thru that whole operating range. As for your 31 turbo diesel over heating., they do run too hot and it's part of the reason those engines just do not last. The non turbo diesel does not overheat...There is very little power difference between the turbo and non turbo models, once again turbo drops a few rpm's its done...

I think all water cooled Ventracs will overheat when mowing, because the screen on the radiator gets clogged up. I owned a Briggs 31HP gas model before the diesel, and it would overheat too, just not as easily.

The only 4500 Ventrac that makes 50 ft-lbs is the Kubota.

/ Power options - Ventrac and Steiner #13  
I think all water cooled Ventracs will overheat when mowing, because the screen on the radiator gets clogged up. I owned a Briggs 31HP gas model before the diesel, and it would overheat too, just not as easily.

The only 4500 Ventrac that makes 50 ft-lbs is the Kubota.

Well the radiator location on the Kubota powered Ventracs might take longer to clog...
4500Z_4747.jpg

/ Power options - Ventrac and Steiner #14  
I cannot overheat my 4231g Ventrac even in foot tall grass and mid 90's temps, I do have the new aluminum radiator though. I can't get it over 195 even without cleaning the screen.

/ Power options - Ventrac and Steiner #15  
The PT-1850 is notorious for overheating, not sure about the PT1845. These motors were just not designed to run at full HP in high heat areas. I would think that the 38HP Yanmar in the SlopeMaster would be your bet bet.

The Ventracs are only rated for 30 degree slopes, but they are fairly conservatively rated. They should be able to take a few degrees more intermittently. I think that the 4500 with the gas powered Kubota, or the fuel injected Kawasaki, would give you the kind of hours you are looking for.

The overheating issue on the PT units is simply a problem of the radiator not having proper protection for chaff, etc and is easily resolved with screening and regular cleaning. If run in a clean environment they have no overheating issues.

/ Power options - Ventrac and Steiner
If run in a clean environment they have no overheating issues.

That is true with all tractors. The problem is what happens when the environment is not clean? They overheat, and some are much worse than others.

/ Power options - Ventrac and Steiner #17  
The 4231TD is STILL available, but who knows for how long.

More pertinent issue is that you indicate the need for operation on slopes greater than 30 degrees. None of the tractors in you list are rated for slopes greater than 30 degrees.

/ Power options - Ventrac and Steiner #18  
As far as hours go, my Steiner 525 had over 3000 hours on it when I bought it back in 2006. Without looking, I think I am pushing 4k now. It is a 1996 model.
I had a Ford 1100 that liked to heat up when the screen got dirty, so I added a bumper and hood brush guard to it, mainly to knock the chaff off a little further from the front of the tractor, with a little space in between for it to fall before it got sucked into the screen. Really worked well on that tractor. With the Steiner radiator being placed like it is, it doesn't give me any over-heating problems.
David from jax