Power options - Ventrac and Steiner

/ Power options - Ventrac and Steiner #1  

American Bulldog

Gold Member
So I have a Ventrac 4231 Turbo Diesel. I am aware that this motor is not held in high regard with the general public. I have almost 200 hours on it so far, with no problems yet. I have two basic complaints though.

1. It overheats too easily. When the temperature is over 80 degF, radiator needs to be kept very clean to prevent overheating. On a 4 hour mow job I will have to clean out the radiator several times. On a really dry day, I will have to blow the dust out of the radiator at least once.

2. Not enough power. On 20+ degree slopes, I cannot go full speed in Low Range when mowing. In my opinion, the motor should be powerful enough to go full speed in low range up to 30 degree inclines.

Other than that, the motor has been great. Runs smooth, and has fantastic fuel economy.

So anyway, the new 4500 motor lineup from Ventrac offers little benefit to what I have, with maybe the exception of the 32.5 HP Kubota. It seemed to have more power in the comparison video. I looked at the Steiner website, and the 440 now has an available 40HP Gas air cooled motor made by Kohler. Just wondering if anybody has tried this machine, and how much hill climbing power does it have? Also, would love to hear all of your thoughts on the engine lineups and which one is best on both brands.

If anybody has any first hand horror stories with the Briggs Turbo Diesel, I would like to hear those as well.

/ Power options - Ventrac and Steiner #2  
Me To!...LOL

Ok... I'm officially getting uneasy now...
Where I'm from, the diesels last twice as long as the gas models.
Question,
I need a slope mower, with dualies, 72" finish deck, and Diesel or gas motor thats going to survive at least 5000 hrs.
Is that too much to ask from Steiner or Ventrac?
It will be mowing 15 acres of ground. 1 acre is flat the rest is at 30 to 34 degrees and i will bulldoze smooth out beforehand.
Which engine should i shoot for... Since my first pick is now officially out(4231TD)

Steiner
430-25G 25 HP Kubota Gas Engine
430-30G 30 HP Kohler Gas Engine
430-33G 33 HP Generac Gas Engine
430-21D 21 HP Kubota Diesel Engine

Ventrac:
Engine Option Specifications

Ventrac Model
Engine
Max Slope
Tractor Weight

Manufacturer
HP
Cooling
Fuel Type
Cylinders #
Engine Disp.
Continuous
Intermittent

B&S Vanguard
31HP
Air
Gas
2-cyl
896cc
25ー
30ー
1290 lbs*

B&S Vanguard
31HP
Air
Gas
2-cyl
896cc
25ー
30ー
1340 lbs*

4226D
B&S Daihatsu
26.5HP
Liquid
Diesel
3-cyl
953cc
30ー
30ー
1560 lbs

4231TD
B&S Daihatsu
31HP
Liquid
Diesel (Turbo)
3-cyl
953cc
30ー
30ー
1630 lbs

4500Z
Kubota
32.5HP
Liquid
Gas (Propane Ready)
3-cyl
962cc
20ー
30ー

/ Power options - Ventrac and Steiner #4  
My other option is to put 3 point brush hog on the back of my 52 year old JOHN DEERE 440 bulldozer. Then buy some fence and 20 goats?....

/ Power options - Ventrac and Steiner #5  
My other option is to put 3 point brush hog on the back of my 52 year old JOHN DEERE 440 bulldozer. Then buy some fence and 20 goats?....

Sheep are safer...also tastes better than goat meat...
The tops of old military ammo bunkers used to be trimmed by sheep
Johnsville_PA_04_bunker.jpg

/ Power options - Ventrac and Steiner
If you have the budget you might consider either:

SuperSlopeMaster: Commercial Steep Slope Mowers

or

TSM Class

Both offer mowers that are rated for slopes of 40 degrees (45 degrees for the PT- 1850) and have diesel engines with very long expected life.

The PT-1850 is notorious for overheating, not sure about the PT1845. These motors were just not designed to run at full HP in high heat areas. I would think that the 38HP Yanmar in the SlopeMaster would be your bet bet.

The Ventracs are only rated for 30 degree slopes, but they are fairly conservatively rated. They should be able to take a few degrees more intermittently. I think that the 4500 with the gas powered Kubota, or the fuel injected Kawasaki, would give you the kind of hours you are looking for.

/ Power options - Ventrac and Steiner #7  
got an offer: He wants $10,000.00 for a Kut Kwick SSM 1100 hrs 2001 model 38 hp Yanmar diesel with dualie wheels 60"cut.
Needs exhaust, center spindal and paint not pretty

/ Power options - Ventrac and Steiner
There is a PT1850 in decent shape for $11000. Just another option for you.

/ Power options - Ventrac and Steiner #9  
the Power trac 1850 in NC was sold last year. Owner has been asking Power Trac to take it off of their site but they are slow to respond.