Steiner 430 blown hose

/ Steiner 430 blown hose #1  

zsqure

Tractor
430MAX, 420, 415 STEINER
I have a Steiner 430 with the Kubota diesel, I have blown a drive hose. Is there a reservoir on these things? I cannot find one. how does one refill the hydraulic system after hose replacement? Do the axle housings act as reservoirs for the system? Would like to fix this but don't want to mess up the pump.
Thanks jim

/ Steiner 430 blown hose #2  
zsqure, You can download the PDF manual from Steiner's website if you don't already have one. I have not worked on a 430 and the 440 that I just bought has a reservoir on it but according to the manual the 430 does not.
Steiner 430.jpg

/ Steiner 430 blown hose
Double D thank you. I have found some info that states the axle housings contain most of the excess fluid for the drive units. This will be a long process I believe.

/ Steiner 430 blown hose #4  
When replacing the hose it is of utmost importance to not contaminate the system with any debris, since the hoses are in a closed loop there is no filtration at that point in the system. If you do, you will need to have the system opened, hydraulic motors and pumps cleaned and resurfaced at the minimum, then have it one way filtered.. Expect this to cost between 700-2k easily. My advice is have your dealer replace the hose and filter it after to be safe.. It's cheap insurance.

/ Steiner 430 blown hose
Raw, I don't dispute what you are saying about the closed loop only because I have not seen a schematic of the drive system. That being said, how do you top off the closed loop in the event of leakage, bleed air out, and account for thermal expansion and contraction. Hose routing is pressure both ways going into the hydraulic motor on the peerless transaxle, one is not a return. The return should be the large hose traveling from the lowest point of the rear transmission forward to the filter then as a higher rate of suction through the steel line to the pump.

/ Steiner 430 blown hose #6  
There is no need to bleed it, it will purge itself the first time you start it, and it builds pressure. The return line is dependent on if you are going forward or in reverse... Filling the system depends on what year and model you have.. Early 420s drew oil from the front axle to feed the system. Somewhere in the mid 90s,the 420s and all 430 s draw oil from the rear axle . You should have a small dipstick in front of the rear hitch area, it should be on a tee that connects to the rear axle and the oil level equalizer hose. It's usually a 13/16" wrench on the oil fill. I prefer the early 420s, as the lack of a suction hose thru the articulated joint allows it to turn much tighter, esp useful mowing.

/ Steiner 430 blown hose #7  
As for expansion, there is a pretty large Window of acceptable oil level, these things hold 13 plus quarts.As long as the oil level is in the Window in the stick your good. You don't usually notice your low on hydraulic oil until your over 2 quarts low, then you may feel it grab air for a second on steep hills. I have had both our steiner hydraulic systems down the the bone several times now. We run them hard and have over 15k hours on them, trust me I know what breaks and how the system works, along with how to fix it.

/ Steiner 430 blown hose
Thank You to everyone for their help. The kids are back in business.

/ Steiner 430 blown hose #9  
did you ever figure out what the parts that you found were when you drained the rear drive?

/ Steiner 430 blown hose
no, filled her up and all it runs is about 30 minutes a week. Have to get the gas one running before i can dump any more $$ into the diesel.