Tractor
    430MAX, 420, 415 STEINER

Default 430 drive axle assembly

Does anybody know who manufactures the drive axle assembly used on the 430 Steiner? I believe i found bearing cage parts or pieces of a very large wave spring washer in my rear drive when I drained the drive oil last night. I would like to see what I am getting into.

Bronze Member

Default Re: 430 drive axle assembly

Quote Originally Posted by zsqure View Post
    Does anybody know who manufactures the drive axle assembly used on the 430 Steiner? I believe i found bearing cage parts or pieces of a very large wave spring washer in my rear drive when I drained the drive oil last night. I would like to see what I am getting into.
    There used to be a Peerless website that gave the breakdown of the transaxle.I havent looked at it lately,so I'm not sure it is still up.I have personally seen the outer bearings give up,but not the inboard bearings.To remove the axle tubes,you need to drop the transaxle out of the rear framework.You definitely want to check the axle tube bearings and seals.If you got the foreign material out the drain,you need to split the transaxle and get every bit of it out.Finally when you are finished,you need a good hydralic flush to be sure to not ruin the hyd. motors.My description is pretty vague,It will be a pretty labor intensive job,you may think about taking it to a dealer,he will have the flush pump and the neccessary tools and manuals.Eddie

Tractor
    Ventrac 4231,Dixie Chopper XXWD5000

Those parts likely came from a blown motor bearing. Probably previous owner had it repaired. It's especially common on the rear axle. I wouldn't worry about it if the system was performing good and the oil isn't shiney with metal. If you are the original owner.. Be afraid..
    Cat 246 SS,Homemade 35T log splitter,2004 Ventrac 4231G various attachments...2005 Dixie chopper XXWD5000, 2001 Dixie Chopper XW2500-60