Ventrac Oil Leak

/ Ventrac Oil Leak #1  

tmason

Tractor
JD 2520
I have an oil leak on my Vanguard diesel engine between the motor and the plate that the pto/clutch is attatched to. The dealer says this is common and I need to replace the cam shaft plug which is failing behind this plate. Any help/insights with this repair would be greatly appreciated.

/ Ventrac Oil Leak #2  
I have an oil leak on my Vanguard diesel engine between the motor and the plate that the pto/clutch is attatched to. The dealer says this is common and I need to replace the cam shaft plug which is failing behind this plate. Any help/insights with this repair would be greatly appreciated.

I've got the 31 vanguard gas and its basically the same engine,I had mine out ,it's very easy to pull the engine,but I think you can make the repair simply by removing the hood strut,then the hood,removing the coolant overflow bottle,then thev4 bolts for the front cross brace/ bumper assy,get it out of the way,then the Pto clutch,stub shaft and flywheel,once that's off support the engine with chain fall or engine hoist and remove the front motor mount bolts and then the motor mount and plate.i think it took me 20 minutes at the most to get down to that point with my air tools...

/ Ventrac Oil Leak
Thanks. That sounds like a good plan. Do you think I will have any trouble removing the existing plug once I get to that point?

/ Ventrac Oil Leak #4  
I don't know mine wasn't leaking...if it were mine I'd consider leaving it alone if its tight ,and brake clean it all up and fill the plug and seal in in with rtv.if it moves at all with a screwdriver tap I'd get it out.replace it.ive had the cam plug leak on my onan p220 and p224 ,and the rtv trick worked for the remainder of the engines life.

/ Ventrac Oil Leak #5  
Did you ever reseal the cam plug?