Anyone using mulching kit with Ventrac?

/ Anyone using mulching kit with Ventrac? #1  

hpc

Bronze Member
Tractor
'06 3520, '09 997 ZTR
Hi All,

I'm currently using a Deere 997 with a 72" deck with mulching kit. The 7-Iron deck is
definitely designed to mulch clippings and does an excellent job, even in tall grass.

I was talking with a Ventrac salesman and he told me about the 72" side discharge
deck design - bottom line, it's not designed to mulch. It's not very tall on the left
side and will suffer from clumping and blow-out.

The rear discharge deck appears to be the only option - we cut Blue Grass at
4-4.25 inches most of the season. The first two cuts and the last two cuts of
the season are made at 3.5 inches.

Is anyone using a mulching kit with their Ventrac deck?

Having a deck that can't mulch and mulch well is a deal breaker for me -
as far as buying a Ventrac. I like its versatility, but if it can't cut and
mulch, game over.

Thanks and Cheers!

/ Anyone using mulching kit with Ventrac? #2  
Sorry I did not see this sooner, I have the 3223d with rear discharge deck and mulching kit. Works very well but I definitely try to cut more often in the spring when grass is wet. Great for chopping leaves in fall

/ Anyone using mulching kit with Ventrac? #3  
I have 2 of the 72 decks they cut amazing and discharge well,but like you said they are side discharge decks....if you want a ventrac to mulch with you'd have to go with a 60" rear discharge and add the mulching baffle kit,my dealer says that these decks cut beautiful,but I've never personally tried one..I like side discharging better, takes less power,and gives a cleaner cut,IMO,but I know the mulching deck is safer ,and sure makes minimal mess of areas around the mower...

/ Anyone using mulching kit with Ventrac?
Hoping that Ventrac will see the need for a 72" deck like the Deere 7-Iron deck, a side-discharge, that works
quite well mulching. I run Gators on the Deere 997 but would like to run double blades like on the Dixie Choppers.
But, I don't think 25 HP is going to be enough; the Deere has 31 and doesn't notice thick grass UNLESS you haven't
cut it in two or more weeks.
So, I'm still holding out on a 4500. Like the versatility which is why I'm almost sold; but it has to mulch and mulch
at least as well as the Deere 7-Iron.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

/ Anyone using mulching kit with Ventrac? #5  
I have a 4500 with Kubota Diesel and 60" cut with Gator Blades. Nice cut and minimal clippings. My Dealer warned my about the Rear discharge as he said it clogs up the Radiator