Can I use a Ventrac deck on a PT?

/ Can I use a Ventrac deck on a PT? #1  

EldoNixon

Bronze Member
Tractor
BX23 TLB
I'll admit that I’m obsessed with creating the ultimate tractor for my needs. To that end I am looking at either a 1430 or 1845. I’m wrestling with the idea of moving up to the 1845, but I feel that the 1430 is a better size for my land and budget. In any event, I must be destined for a PT since I’m contemplating modifying it before even purchasing.

My main reason for looking at the 1845 is the 72" deck (and who wouldn’t want 45hp). I have heard various concerns about scalping with this deck. When I demo'd the Ventrac, it had the best deck that I have ever used. I didn't like the tractor as a loader, but loved the deck. So how feasible would it be to put the ventrac deck on the PT. Did I mention that I know nothing of hydraulics or motors or anything?

What I know: It should be easy to attach the ventrac to the PT. They sell a 3n1 adapter for 3pt use that has the attachment arms that their tractors use. That could be attached to the appropriate quick attach plate. So far so good.

The ventrac uses a pulley system that powers the mower. The pulley from the tractor runs at 3650 rpms. If I wanted to simulate the 3650 RPM main PTO of the tractor I would need to run a hydraulic motor capable of 3650 RPM with sufficient torque to use to run attachments. This would allow me to create a hook-up to use all ventrac attachments. The local ventrac dealer rents attachments. Is this feasible with the a 1430 w/2500psi & 12 gpm be able to power a motor strong enough to run at 2500 rpm to power a 72" mower? Or would I need the higher 15 gpm and 3000 psi of the 1845?

The easier way to do it would be to attach a hydraulic motor to the deck itself. The guy at Ventrac (actually one of the Steiner brothers) said to use an 8-9" pulley attached to the hydraulic motor attached to the jackshaft running at 2500 rpm. w/ a larger 8-9" pulley. Would a 1430 w/2500psi & 12 gpm be able to power a motor strong enough to run at 2500 rpm to power a 72" mower? Or would I need the higher 15 gpm and 3000 psi of the 1845?

Ventrac actually offers this mower for their 25hp gas model. I just don't know enough to compare hydraulically powered attachments to their non-hydraulic counterparts.

I hope this makes sense.

/ Can I use a Ventrac deck on a PT? #2  
I am skeptical that it would work on the 1430. I think PT has a pretty good handle on the amount of power needed to move the machine and operate attachments. For that reason I think a 72" deck on the 1430 would probably be underpowered. I think the reason is that belt drives are considerably more efficient than hydraulic, and the PT tractors are considerably heavier than the Ventrac.

A 72" deck with the 1445 or 1845 works based on my experience with both the PT deck and a Lastec deck. However I suspect that the modification costs for a Ventrac deck would be very substantial. Perhaps an alternative approach would be to modify a PT 72" deck to provide better scalping protection.

/ Can I use a Ventrac deck on a PT?
I think that you're probably right. The ventrac deck has a full length roller along the rear which seems to make the difference. It is also suspended under arms that allow it to float, but I think that the rear roller really makes the difference. I was just amazed at how well that 72" did at avoiding scalping.
I think I remember seeing someone add a full rear roller to a PT deck. I'll have to check the archives and see how that worked out.
Does anyone have better pictures of the PT 72" deck?

Thanks for your input.

/ Can I use a Ventrac deck on a PT? #4  
Hi - I am the oe who modified the PT deck and added the roller and I think it really worked great - as well as the Steiner - maybe not but it produced nice results
You could probably do the same with the PT 72inch deck

I don't think the 1430 wold handle it - in fact I have spoken to two different 1430 owners who had concerns about tip speed on the 1430

Also - have you actually heard that 30hp Deutz? I don't think you will like it

As for the Ventrac - I actually looked at doing this mainly because I wanted a side discharge and I like the adjustment feature on the Steiner - you would have to mount the hydraulic motor where the pulley is on the deck (that goes to the machine) I have to tell you I am not afraid to modinfy but I don't think this one would be simple - I would rather modify the PT deck and add the rear roller -

/ Can I use a Ventrac deck on a PT? #5  
By the way the 1845 is not much bigger than the 1430

/ Can I use a Ventrac deck on a PT? #6  
<font color="red"> The ventrac deck has a full length roller along the rear which seems to make the difference. It is also suspended under arms that allow it to float, </font>

The PT diesel tractors (1430, 1445, and 1845) have a draft control that transfers an adjustable amount of the weight of the mower deck to the tractor and allows the mower deck to "float".

/ Can I use a Ventrac deck on a PT? #7  
The 72" deck that I have on the 1845 has two wheels out front and two smaller ones (with miserable tires - currently off for replacement) in back. With the draft control, scalping has not been a real concern. I can't speak for the finish mower, with different spindles, but our rough-cut tends to leave a tuft or stripe here and there when going fast. If, however, you put on the finish blades that John Coxon made and cut very short (2 1/2"), with the front of the deck slightly lower than the back, and with the back skirt in place, the cut quality is very good. It compares favorably with the 48" Exmark walk behind, and is better than the Exmark if the grass is wet. (Here's where Bubenberg will chime in and say that's because I put a mulch kit on the Exmark against his advice. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) My ultimate lawn problem with the PT was the tight places, not the cut quality, and the need to change heights between pastures and the lawn, which is only a 5 minute job, but irritating.
My point - if any is to be made - is that you probably can get good results tweaking the PT 72" finish deck on an 1845, where adaptation of a Ventrac deck to hydraulics and the PT suspension system would be more problematical but certainly feasible.

/ Can I use a Ventrac deck on a PT? #8  
I would have to to disagree. I think the 1430 should have ample power for the 72" deck. The Kubota rear engine mowers use a hydraulic PTO to their 72" deck and less than 30 hp.

/ Can I use a Ventrac deck on a PT? #9  
I am not sure it is the HP - PT does not recommend
anything larger than a 60 inch for the 1430 - again not sure why
maybe it is tractor weight or efficiency but I have spoken
to two 1430 owners who had complaints on mowing power / tip speed - (this was when I was considering a 1430 and was doing some due diligence on the unit with owners)
that was one of the reasons I decided against a 1430 - the other of course was the rattle like sound of that two cylinder
engine which I really didn't like and could not get out of my head - I finally have forgotten it now that I am used the hearing the 45hp three cylinder which sounds and runs great.