Ventrac Tough Cut Mower front swivel wheels

/ Ventrac Tough Cut Mower front swivel wheels #1  

DoubleDeere

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 790,John Deere 2025R & Steiner 440
Have any of you used one both with and without the swivel wheels? Is there a marked improvement with them on? I have one for my Steiner and have debated getting them to hopefully keep the deck from digging in when making turns. It looks like there would be pluses and negatives to having them on.

/ Ventrac Tough Cut Mower front swivel wheels #2  
I don't have the swivel wheels, but offer these comments. To minimize turf disturbance when turning, set weight transfer to max to allow the deck to float with minimal contact force on the standard gauge wheels. As i understand it, the primary purpose of the swivel wheel kit is to permit setting the deck to mow to taller heights of cut.

/ Ventrac Tough Cut Mower front swivel wheels
I kind of do that now on turns in softer areas I slightly lift up the deck. Unfortunately ( or maybe fortunately ) I don not have weight transfer on my Steiner, it is an option I did not get. With all the problems I have had with it I am leery to even get it. I do like the weight transfer idea better, even though I think it is a more expensive route. It is at the dealer as I type being repaired from the last breakdown. I'll have to give it some thought after I get over this last disappointment with it. Thanks JackIL I appreciate your advise.

/ Ventrac Tough Cut Mower front swivel wheels #4  
I have the swivel wheels on my tough cut and they work very nice. Solid rubber for no chance of flats, and they are very nice for going around turns. I set the casters on the outside of the deck so they are not quite touching so that they will only carry weight when on very uneven found.
Have any of you used one both with and without the swivel wheels? Is there a marked improvement with them on? I have one for my Steiner and have debated getting them to hopefully keep the deck from digging in when making turns. It looks like there would be pluses and negatives to having them on.

/ Ventrac Tough Cut Mower front swivel wheels #5  
I'm not sure if you priced them, but they are super expensive for all they are. I think I paid around $500. They are definitely built heavy duty though.

Good to hear, and yes I have priced them. This tractor ownership thing sure gets pricey.

/ Ventrac Tough Cut Mower front swivel wheels #7  
Yeah! This is expensive equipment, haha. How do you like the 440? I like the different engine options they give for it.

It is bigger than the 430 and older models, which is one of the reasons I bought it. I have the 25h.p. Kubota diesel. Mine is 2 years old, one of the first ones for the new model year and I have had problems with it. Steiner has made upgrades to them since then, so hopefully they have all the bugs worked out of them. I like the fact that the attachments are very easy to change and that the mounting system between Steiner and Ventrac stays the same (never changes). So if I wear the tractor out the attachments can be transferred to a new unit hopefully. I also use the tough cut mower for doing more than I initially planned on when I got it, since it cuts so fast. I can mow tall field grass and weeds with it faster than I can with my 790 with the 5 ft. brush hog or the 72" rear finish mower I have for it.

Attachments

• P4130175.jpg
    P4130175.jpg
    874.4 KB · Views: 6,209
   / Ventrac Tough Cut Mower front swivel wheels #9  
Thats a nice looking machine, doubledeere! I'm sure that 25 hp Kubota diesel gives it plenty of torque. I know the local Ventrac/Steiner dealer said the 25 hp Kubota's work really nice in the Ventrac's. Did you see know that Steiner makes a Tough Cut style mower? I seen it last night on their web site. Yeah, my hat goes off to whoever engineered the Tough Cut, and it doesn't surprise me that it works better than the brush hog on your John Deere. It is nice how Ventrac/Steiner attachment are interchangeable. I have a Steiner tractor with no Steiner attachments, haha; they are all Ventrac. A 5' Dozer Blade, Tough Cut, 15,000 watt generator, stump grinder, and a slip scoop; always gotta have one of those. The Steiner attachments cost more because of the shipping charges. Since we're not far from Ohio the dealer just drives out with a 3/4 ton pickup truck and trailer early in the morning; gets completely loaded up with Ventrac equipment then gets back to central Pa late at night. The 430 I have is a 30 hp Kholer and I really like it. It has plenty of power.

I just saw it last week on their website. the dealer told me that there was one in the works last year. The older Steiner model I felt would just be to heavy to be using on my hills so I went with the Ventrac one. I got mine at the start of last year.