Steiner 430 scheduled lubrication question

/ Steiner 430 scheduled lubrication question #1  

donhatch

Tractor
Steiner 430 Max
I have a Steiner 430 Max. The service chart in the owner's manual says to lubricate the center pivot, PTO idler arm and drive shaft every 100 hours. I see the grease fitting on the center pivot, but I can't find one on the PTO idler arm. And I'm not sure what they're talking about for the drive shaft. The mower attachment has a short shaft with a bearing and pulley on each end with grease fittings, but I don't see anything on the tractor itself.
Can anyone clear this up for me?

/ Steiner 430 scheduled lubrication question #2  
Don,

Please refer to your Parts Catalog to see the specific items. The PTO idler arm is on Page 4-17. This arm holds the double pulley for the belts. The Drive Shaft connects the engine to the hydraulic pump. The universal joints have zerks.

/ Steiner 430 scheduled lubrication question #3  
There is no zerk on the idler pulley.Its a sealed bearing.I usually get 3-5 seasons out of one.Just replace it when it gets noisey.Thats between 600-1200 hrs now..You will know when it needs replacing the bearing gets noise before it fails. I say keep an eye on the double idler as well.When they go they don't always give an audible warning.You can easily spin it whenever there is no attachment on. .If you have access to a shop press, the double idler bearings are basic 6204's. .simply remove the single 1/2" bolt and nut holding on, and press out the spacer and then the bearings and reverse. If you don't catch those going out.they can seize and spin in the pulley.Ive had to buy probably 3 new double idlers over the years at 120 dollars, as opposed to about 12-16 dollars for bearings because my operators didn't hear or smell anything. Running with a slipping belt is what trashes those bearings fast. The drive shaft has zerks.There usually is very little to any angle on drive shaft u joints, so greasing isn't all that important unless you power wash it or submerge it deep in water. I usually grease them once a season.Ive never had to replace a drive shaft u joint...ever.and I have alot of accumulated hours on these steiners.

/ Steiner 430 scheduled lubrication question
Thanks for the info. I only put about 50 hours/year on my Steiner, so hopefully the idler bearing will last me a long time. I'll see if I can find the zerks on the driveshaft.

/ Steiner 430 scheduled lubrication question #5  
They are hard to see .you may need a flashlight but they are there.With only 50 hrs a year, you shouldn't have to much to worry about just don't over wash it, water intrusion kills the non greasable sealed bearings, especially when the machine is still hot from use and you hit it with cold water and the bearings and housings contract and cool off quickly drawing in water like a champ.