Thumb Grapple on slip scoop

/ Thumb Grapple on slip scoop #1  

brucet47

Tractor
JD 5200, Kubota 2910, Ventrac 4100, Ventrac 4200
Ventrac has introduced a new Power Scoop with Grapple option. They have only made it available for the 4500 series, so I elected to install a "Thumb" grapple on my older Slip Scoop. By using existing front remotes and electrical connection, a 12V diverter valve, and of course the "Thumb", the installation works well. You can use the on / off switch on the panel to control the bucket curl / grapple function or you can use the thumb button and wiring that comes with the "Fasse" valve kit. I opted to wire both in, however I use the thumb button the majority of the time. Since I have two tractors I designed for the bucket and grapple to be moved to either simply by disconnecting at the remotes. Cost for everything was around 1K. Pictures attached (I hope).

002-001.JPG003-001.JPG004-001.JPG007-001.JPG008-001.JPG010-001.JPG012-001.JPG014-001.JPG

/ Thumb Grapple on slip scoop #2  
Cool beans, man!

prs

/ Thumb Grapple on slip scoop #3  
Nice work Bruce!

What length of The Thumb did you get?

Where did you order the Fasse valve kit?

Please post a photo showing the clearance between hood and The Thumb when The Thumb is fully retracted and the Slip Scoop is fully raised?

Thanks.

JackIL

/ Thumb Grapple on slip scoop
Thanks!

I purchased the 20" grapple which fit perfectly on the bucket lip using the 5/8 bolts supplied. The lip of the grapple just touches the leading edge of the bucket.

Valve came from Sloan express "Fasse 700-1512-4080". $545 + $36 to North GA. Shipped in 3 days. msims@sloans.com. 800-934-9777. Contact Mark Sims. I used 1/4" 2 wire hose to assemble. I've attached a PDF of the valve kit. This kit will also easily work on the 4500 if you you don't want to purchase the additional set of remotes.

I don't have the bucket on right now as I'm using the aerovator to soften up some areas for spring grass. The grapple clearance was one of my concerns and there is about 1" clearance on the 4100 and 2" on the 4200 as the hood has more of a forward slope. I'll get that picture this evening or tomorrow.

View attachment 700-1512-4080 w-666.pdf

Jack,
Additional photo's attached.
IMG_0596.jpgIMG_0597.jpgIMG_0598.jpg

/ Thumb Grapple on slip scoop #6  
Bruce,

Thanks for the photos. Looks like it is very close on the 4100.

Jack,
It is close. I'll likely solve that problem by moving the mounting bracket forward an inch. I'll use a couple of pieces of 1/4 x 4" plate under the lip of the bucket to extend the lip 1 1/2".

I had dinged the 4100 hood sometime ago experimenting with a front mount electric spreader I bolted to the aerovator, but that's another story.

/ Thumb Grapple on slip scoop #8  
Why is the cylinder installed backwards?

008-001.JPG

Thanks for the reply. I worked it both ways. Less stress on the bucket lip. I was looking to avoid reinforcing the bucket. Does require some additional HYD hose. I should have noted the cylinder reversal on my initial post.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions with respect to this project. I have attached pictures incorporating changes

Moved the mounting bracket forward 1-1/2" on the bucket lip. Welded it along the top, sides, and bottom. This allows 1-2" of clearance when bucket and grapple are in in the full up and curled position.

Reversed the cylinder ion accordance with the manufacturer spec. which gives a bit more hydraulic line slack, however there seems to be no difference in grapple operation. Not sure I will leave it this way as it was easier to see the length of cylinder extension when it was reversed.

That's about it. Have about 10 hours of use and it is working great. :)

IMG_0608-001.JPGIMG_0609-001.JPGIMG_0610-001.JPGIMG_0612-001.JPGIMG_0614-001.JPGIMG_0616-001.JPGIMG_0617-001.JPG