My Slope Guage lies.

/ My Slope Guage lies. #1  

prs

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 650, Ventrac 4500Z AJ02248
Sitting on a level garage floor, the little ball in the viscous liquid may be 5 degrees one way or the other. Mowing across steep slopes I saw it reporting about 10 to 15 degrees the OTHER way, hit a bump and it went to "0" and hit another and it was between 25 and 30 in the correct direction and that would be about right for were I was. It sure is a chintzy accessory to replace what they used to put in the dash. I think the liquid in it is too thick or the little ball is too light. Other than paying for something that does not work, its no big deal as I don't watch it much anyway.

prs

/ My Slope Guage lies. #2  
I thought about getting one of those, but I decided watching that thing instead of watching what you're doing could be hazardous to your health.

/ My Slope Guage lies. #4  
There's an app for that. :)

Just duct tape your smart phone (if you have one) to the hood. :)

/ My Slope Guage lies. #5  
The very first thing I put on my tractor was one of the R&B tiltmeters from the Online Store (under "safety") on TBN.

It has never let me down and has worked perfectly for many years. One of the best investments I have ever made. I don't know if I have the same exact model, but the 25C is the current version of the one I have. Safety - Tractor By Net

/ My Slope Guage lies. #6  
The slope gauge in your butt never fails. Listen to it.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ My Slope Guage lies. #7  
I'm sorry but if you need to watch a guage on a slope,you shouldn't be on it,at that point it's about the turf conditions,feel,and operator skills,and experience,IMO its really a useless gadget and I wouldn't expect it to last to long..besides 30 degrees is a joke,and a liability protector, my dealer mows slopes over 40 degrees with his Steiner weekly,,no duals,no rops,no weights just the new 38 special otr tires,the old lightweight 48" deck,and an Onan 20 will run on any hill without oiling issues..he won't put his ventrac on that hill,due to the SLDA lever,very difficult to control on slopes that steep compared to Steiner...

/ My Slope Guage lies.
No need to be sorry. I've run on these WV hills since I was 9 years-old and my feel for where to trek is pretty well developed. I was not relying upon the gadget, just cast a curious eye to it when I noted the errant readings. The dealer will get a chance to shine.

prs

/ My Slope Guage lies. #9  
My dealer was giving them away ……. free, guess why what a pos…….. jim

/ My Slope Guage lies.
When I removed mine to return to dealer, I noticed the little steel ball had a deposit of ?dried oil residue? on an area of its surface. I rocked the gauge back and forth and could make it stick as it would come to rest on that clump of jelly like residue. So, shook the **** out of it. Then the little steel ball was clean and I could not even find the clot of residue. Seemed to work reliably then. So, I did not return it (yet). I mowed yesterday and today for about 5 gallons of gas worth; but forgot to look at the little do-dad.

prs