Im Stumped.

/ Im Stumped. #1  

hungry4dss

Tractor
Steiner 430
My neighbor asked me to do a couple of stumps for him and advised I should charge for this service. So I started to do a few stumps here and there. Its been a lot of fun so far.

I have the Steiner stump grinder, it works pretty good. No fancy mirror like on the Ventrac stump grinder. So I stand beside the tractor on the right with all my safety gear on so I can gets a birds eye few of the action.

I tried sitting on the tractor, but I cant see anything.

Here's a few pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_0735.JPG
    IMG_0735.JPG
    184.7 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_0736.JPG
    IMG_0736.JPG
    222.4 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_0737.JPG
    IMG_0737.JPG
    180.3 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0738.JPG
    IMG_0738.JPG
    202.6 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_1295.JPG
    IMG_1295.JPG
    239.7 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_1297.JPG
    IMG_1297.JPG
    215.2 KB · Views: 259
   / Im Stumped. #2  
Any reason you cannot hang your own mirror off the unit so you can see from behind?

/ Im Stumped. #3  
I recently got rid of my big Vermeer 665B. It would do a six foot stump like nothing! Now I only have my little Steiner and am a bit apprehensive. I did not see many videos of it in use.

I don't for the life of me understand how anyone can grind a stump without seeing what they are doing. I too, stand beside my (430 MAX) machine with the seat swtich bypassed.

Long story short. Is the Steiner grinder a serious tool, or is it a compromise as many do-all type machines are?

/ Im Stumped. #4  
I've got the same stump grinder,it's a great attachment,IMO you do not need a mirror,I'd rather not have one especially considering its a peice of equipment that gets slammed around and runs under heavy vibration while under use,I can't see you being able to even have the mirror not vibrate enough to see thru it.

/ Im Stumped. #5  
I would suggest making your own portable mirror using aluminized mylar sheeting and some stakes... e.g., the kind used to mark the edges of driveways.

JJM

/ Im Stumped. #6  
Do you guys sharen your teeth? I bought a Makita variable speed grinder and a Diamond wheel to touch up my teeth (that was for my Big machine too). It would be really nice to do the Steiner teeth upside down, in place on the machine, but then I loose my gearbox oil.

We grow stones around here and you can bet that any stump is ringed with at least some, so teeth take a beating!

/ Im Stumped. #7  
I'd like to sharpen mine,I need a diamond wheel first...

/ Im Stumped.
My neighbor asked me to do a couple of stumps for him and advised I should charge for this service. So I started to do a few stumps here and there. Its been a lot of fun so far.

I have the Steiner stump grinder, it works pretty good. No fancy mirror like on the Ventrac stump grinder. So I stand beside the tractor on the right with all my safety gear on so I can gets a birds eye few of the action.

I tried sitting on the tractor, but I cant see anything.

Here's a few pictures.

I think it would use less, Would shake alot.

/ Im Stumped.
I recently got rid of my big Vermeer 665B. It would do a six foot stump like nothing! Now I only have my little Steiner and am a bit apprehensive. I did not see many videos of it in use.

I don't for the life of me understand how anyone can grind a stump without seeing what they are doing. I too, stand beside my (430 MAX) machine with the seat swtich bypassed.

Long story short. Is the Steiner grinder a serious tool, or is it a compromise as many do-all type machines are?

I used to work for a fellow who owned a couple Vermeers and a huge Carlton stump grinder. The Vermeer would make quick work of most stumps. The Carlton grinder was just plain scary. He would not let us use it for good reason. Young and no fear :)

We cut down and stumped a apple orchard once, at the time it seem like he was right on our tail with the big Carlton.

The Steiner stump grinder works well for what it is. Sure it is a compromise, compared to a big Vermeers or Carltons IMO.

/ Im Stumped.
I would suggest making your own portable mirror using aluminized mylar sheeting and some stakes... e.g., the kind used to mark the edges of driveways.

JJM

JJM

That is a great and simple idea, completely independent of the stump grinder. I was taught to do it standing, so I will continue to so for a few years yet. :)