Neutral start switch

/ Neutral start switch #1  

brucet47

Tractor
JD 5200, Kubota 2910, Ventrac 4100, Ventrac 4200
Anyone know where the neutral start switch is on the 4231? Looks like it should be around the left foot peg, but I don't see it. Having some intermittent neutral lockout starting problems. Thanks!
Bruce

/ Neutral start switch #2  
On my 4231 it's between the dash and the radiator,behind the parking brake lever,just above the main hydraulic line with the coiled cooler in it.i took a picture,hope this helps

Attachments

• image-1271718705.jpg
    image-1271718705.jpg
    389.6 KB · Views: 193
   / Neutral start switch
Thanks RD. Really appreciate the picture! I tried to follow the blue wire from the starter solenoid, but lost it in the bundle. The Ventrac part diagrams are not very helpful. Been starting the unit with a jumper wire from the solenoid to the 12 volt lug on the starter which works but is less than convenient.

/ Neutral start switch #4  
There is a tab on the Selector Lever Shaft that engages the switch - where that lever goes through the right side of the dash, mine wore the hole into an egg shape and that made the tab farther from the switch - The switch is adjustable (not the easiest to get to). The whole in the dash assembly needs a bearing surface for that lever rod.

/ Neutral start switch
Thanks BK. Rather than aggravate myself with the switch adjustment I super glued a couple of thin washers to the tab (picture attached). Maybe just a band aid, however it fixed the problem for now. Also the switch is easy to jumper if I choose. I noted the lever shaft wear on my unit also.
Neutral switch actuator.JPG

Attachments

• Neutral switch actuator.JPG
    Neutral switch actuator.JPG
    158.7 KB · Views: 186
   / Neutral start switch #6  
Glad you got it going..your welcome on the picture. .I haven't noticed any excess wear but I haven't looked either..the lever used to scream when I used it..a little no sqweek fixed it up.ive never had a problem with the lever or neutral switch. .suprizingly because everything else on my machine has needed attention.

/ Neutral start switch #7  
The B in BK is Bruce also. The wear I mentioned was on my 2004 4231 - I now have one of the last 4231 Gas, Liquid Cooled, Briggs/Daihatsu 3 cyl. that Ventrac assembled. Between the 2, I have over 1,500 hours - 900 & 600+ & that lever / switch causing a failure to start is one of the only headaches I have had.
The washers should work as long as they stick to the tab. :thumbsup:

Thanks BK. Rather than aggravate myself with the switch adjustment I super glued a couple of thin washers to the tab (picture attached). Maybe just a band aid, however it fixed the problem for now. Also the switch is easy to jumper if I choose. I noted the lever shaft wear on my unit also.
View attachment 428683

/ Neutral start switch
I also own a 4100 series gas. 25 Kawasaki. 1200 hrs. I checked it out and there is just a small amount of play in the actuator. The only difference I could tell is that the brake on the 4100 is not tensioned nearly as tight as on the 4231. I backed the brake nut off some on the 4231 and the actuator now moves a lot easier into the start / brake position. Also checked on a steep hill and the brake works well in both directions. Possibly that very tight brake tension could be causing the actuator to wear prematurely. Still, there should be a bearing where the shaft passes through the bulkhead plate.

Thanks to all for your comments.

/ Neutral start switch #9  
Its funny you said that Bruce my brake grabs at the very end but it still holds excellent, that probably explains why I haven't had any trouble. I have about 650 hours on my machine but the previous owner was brutal it looks more like a thousand to1500 hr machine. How do you like the 25 Kawasaki? Is it air cooled, how is the fuel economy and performance .

/ Neutral start switch
I purchased the 4100 used at 600 hours, now 1200. I have had no issues with the Kawasaki 25 engine at all. It is air cooled. It does not have the vertical stack muffler so it has a good bark to it. I have a new muffler on hand to install so maybe that will help. It has good power although I use it mostly with the scoop, pesticide sprayer, electric seeder, aerovator, and rock rake so I rarely run at full throttle. Consequently can't really comment on the fuel economy other than the first couple of years, prior to the 4231TD purchase, I used it with the 60" mower and 72" rough cut and it seemed fairly efficient. It's a bit cold natured when the temps fall below freezing, but has always cranked within 20-30 seconds. The rough cut does better attached to the 4231TD when the pastures start to toughen up in July & August. Both tractors have been good performers, but as you say they do need attention. On the other hand my wifes 7 year old Hustler Z / Kawasaki 20 seems to mow year after year with oil and filter changes. Just add fuel.