Blades for my "Tough Cut Mower"

/ Blades for my "Tough Cut Mower" #1  

wdwurker

Tractor
4200 VXD, JD 990
any suggestions on where /what to buy in the way of blades for the Tough Cut?

I called all three dealers nearby (if you can call sixty miles nearby) and nobody has the std. 79.0048 Double Cut, No Lift blades. Of course everyone can order them.

/ Blades for my "Tough Cut Mower" #2  
Try Mast Lepley at 7787 E Lincoln Way, Apple Creek, OH 44606
(330) 264-9292

/ Blades for my "Tough Cut Mower" #3  
Call main office and request USPO anything goes express delivery. Way cheaper than driving 60 miles one or two ways!

Now, tell us how you managed to mangle your blade(s).

prs

/ Blades for my "Tough Cut Mower"
Call main office and request USPO anything goes express delivery. Way cheaper than driving 60 miles one or two ways!

Now, tell us how you managed to mangle your blade(s).

prs
Well, the blade issue has been resolved. My new "go-to" guy is Jeff at Lang Outdoor Equipment in Marietta, OH. He had the blades on the shelf.

Now, can anybody explain to me why the blades are sharpened on both sides? The blades I replaced were like new on one edge (trailing) but were wasted on the leading (cutting) edge. Am I supposed to flip them over? Seems like if that were the case, the bevel would be on the other side.
I'm sure there is a logical explanation, but being a newbie, I'm stumped.

/ Blades for my "Tough Cut Mower" #5  
I would imagine they are sharp on both sides to facilitate the counter rotating right side spindle,this way a set is 3 of the same pn.Also this gives you the option of getting more life out of the set by being able to swap the center and right side once they are worn out you will have new blades those two basically. Swapping blades when sharpening can greatly extend the service life of a set.

/ Blades for my "Tough Cut Mower" #6  
I would imagine they are sharp on both sides to facilitate the counter rotating right side spindle,this way a set is 3 of the same pn.Also this gives you the option of getting more life out of the set by being able to swap the center and right side once they are worn out you will have new blades those two basically. Swapping blades when sharpening can greatly extend the service life of a set.

Makes sense to me. Still wonder if it would make any real difference if cutting upside down. Probably would bounce the deck when cutting woody stuff over the inch (half inch?) limit.

prs

/ Blades for my "Tough Cut Mower"
That makes sense. It's easier to make all the blades compatible with all three spindles. Otherwise, I can imagine a dealer having to stock two different blades for the same machine.
Thanks...

/ Blades for my "Tough Cut Mower" #8  
My thumb, having been almost cut off tightening up a razor sharp blade in my teens, twitches involuntarily at the thought of a double edged blade. Who knew?

/ Blades for my "Tough Cut Mower" #9  
I use an impact gun...you don't need to tighten them very much, but if you hit something ,they can be a pain to get loose..hit something good and the blade bolt just snaps..besides you only sharpen the leading edge,backside I'd leave dull after running it one way a while.

/ Blades for my "Tough Cut Mower" #10  
The blades on my finish mower are half right handed and half left handed; two different blade designs on same mower due to lift type blades and counter rotation. I also use impact gun to remove and install with regular torque wrench with block of wood to hold blade.

prs