worse than an Easter Egg Hunt

/ worse than an Easter Egg Hunt #1  

wdwurker

Tractor
4200 VXD, JD 990
Having had my 4200 (4231TD) for less than a week, I feel pretty good about having found all the grease zerks... that is all but one! The book shows a U-Joint on the drive shaft... hmmm, that would be fine IF I COULD FIND THE DRIVE SHAFT!

I've been under it, behind it, inside it, but I can't find a drive shaft.

Any help for this newbie?

/ worse than an Easter Egg Hunt #2  
My ventrac has one underneath a cover held down by velcro behind the radiator. Very hard to get a gun on it. I have yet to get a gun on it.

/ worse than an Easter Egg Hunt #3  
My machine is fairly new and I greased the TWO Zerks on the drive shaft yesterday first time. The drive shaft exits the rear center of the engine and courses the short distance to the hydraulic pump, the two U joints are within a few inches of each other. From the left side of the frame reach under the radiator to find the drive shaft. The Zerk fittings rotate with the universals and you have to get them pointing directly to the left. I did it by bumping the starter motor. Once you get them pointing toward you, they will still be pretty well hidden from sight, I did not even try to see them. Just go by feel. Now, grease gun flex hoses, being what they are, are slippery. So wipe the coupler and feed it under the hydraulic lines and contort your right hand to press the coupler onto the front Zerk and hold it. That leaves you one handed to pump the grease gun, the trigger grip type of gun is good for that. One pump will do, I could not resist two. The rear Zerk is under the debris cover at rear of radiator. You will again be going by feel as you will be reaching through a slit opening in the loosened vinyl cloth. The Zerk will be facing left just as you left the front one. Same procedure, right hand holds the coupler on the Zerk and left operates the gun.

I had more trouble, or at least as much, in finding and servicing the two Zerks at the front lift pivots.

prs

/ worse than an Easter Egg Hunt
I had more trouble, or at least as much, in finding and servicing the two Zerks at the front lift pivots.

prs[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean. I had to go out and buy a couple of car ramps so I could put the front end up in the air just so I could find those two. I was beginning to think the picture was from a different series of power unit. That's why I knew there had to be a drive shaft somewhere, if the other picture was right, the picture of the drive shaft had to be also.
Who designed these machines, the "Lollypop Kids"?

/ worse than an Easter Egg Hunt #5  
Somewhat the opposite problem with my 4105... the Owner Manual said to grease two nipples on the front axle (pictures and everything). Even using a torch I couldn't find'em. Turns out that the manual hadn't been updated and they were no longer there. :rolleyes:

Of course, when the Dealership bloke came out to do my 200hr service (part of the purchase deal) he pointed out two OTHER NIPPLES that were for the fwd/rev pedals that weren't in the manual either.

Oh, a 'torch' here is what others would refer to as a 'flashlight'.

/ worse than an Easter Egg Hunt #6  
I appreciate the design. The alternative would be no Zerks at those locations and sealed U joints all of which would lead to failure sooner or later and if you think greasing the U joints is tedious; try replacing them. Part of the thing with "compact" equipment; tight places and limited space. They packed a lot in there. I also own a Honda Goldwing cycle and talk about difficult to service, and this is Honda. A "simple" air filter change is a two hour job if you are good at it and know the short cuts; but boy, oh boy! What a motorcycle!

prs

/ worse than an Easter Egg Hunt
I also own a Honda Goldwing cycle and talk about difficult to service, and this is Honda. A "simple" air filter change is a two hour job if you are good at it and know the short cuts; but boy, oh boy! What a motorcycle!

prs[/QUOTE]

Nice... I too ride, and do all my own wrenching. I'm on a 2011 Victory Vision. I remember the first time I saw an Aspencade (sometime in the early 80's) and thinking,"Wow, what a nice bike, but think about what it would take just to find the engine"... Never say Never!

/ worse than an Easter Egg Hunt #8  
I appreciate the fittings too,I cannot find the zerks on my front hitch pivot points..not sure if my machine doesn't have them but I looked good..mines an 04 4231...I will likely add fittings one day..it's tight now,I spray no sqweek in there occasionally there's minimal play especially compared to my steiners. .one thing about the older machines with the diahatsu engines..we need to be very proactive with our maintenance,checking air filter ducting for leaks,keeping the cooling system in top shape, because heat kills.. as these engines are getting very scarce and hard to find not to mention there expensive. To my knowledge the 31TD isn't available anymore, when yours blows up,which isn't a matter of if.. but when,you'll have to repower with a 26.5NA diesel...which are still available. ..I occasionally see the 31 gas offered but there rare..all 3 engines are in the 4500-5500 dollar range new...

/ worse than an Easter Egg Hunt #9  
Well I greased one of the u joint fittings. Can't find the second one. Any Ideas?

/ worse than an Easter Egg Hunt #10  
Murph,

The second Zerk is about 6 inches in front of or behind the Zerk you found. The rear Zerk is under the canvas debris shield behind the radiator.

From the current Operators Manual

On the 4500K, the drive shaft can be greased
through access points in the drive shaft cover.
On the 4500P, 4500Y, and 4500Z, the front fitting
can be reached under the radiator, from the right
side of the power unit, using a grease gun with a 13
or longer rubber hose. Rotate the drive shaft so the
grease fitting is pointed directly toward the right side
of the power unit. Insert the hose from the right side,
under the hydraulic couplers and radiator, directly in
line with the grease fitting. Push the hose onto the
grease fitting and hold in place while greasing. The
rear fitting can be reached in back of the radiator,
after pulling back the canvas debris barrier.