Break'n da roolz............

/ Break'n da roolz............ #1  

prs

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 650, Ventrac 4500Z AJ02248
First the set-up for why. Its rained a lot this year. The ground is soft and my land is sloped. So, a couple of weeks ago I was mowing with 10 to 15 slope to my right and a telephone guy wire to my right. I tucked the contour mower around the wire's base getting nice and close, then backed a bit before turning left to exit. But my rear tire is not clearing the guy wire. So I turn the wheel right and reverse a bit and then left and forward. Its even worse, the tires are crabbing downhill. By maneuvering very slowly and in small steps I finally cleared that snare. Then a few days ago, another guy wire to my left, slope to my left also about 15 or a tad more and ground even softer, I did the same dumb arsed trick, trimming with a 7 foot wide mower. This time, no escape. Every move of the steering slipped the eight wheeled crab closer to the wire. Hopeless. Ah, but I still have John Deere in reserve. So some logging chain and a hefty tug from 4WD 2 cylinder diesel and Ventrac was drug sideways up the hill without even tearing the turf. So, I am thinking that the Ventrac needs a sharper turn radius (0r I need to avoid the uphill side of guy wires).

Well, when delivered to me the steering cylinder was attached to the inside hole of the rear frame fitting. The owner's manual says it MUST be set in the middle hole because I have the duelies. Like a good student, I promptly changed the position per the "good" book's instruction although I saw no real need for it. So today I back tracked and put the steering cylinder back into the inner hole for quicker steering. The outer tires "almost" rub in the tightest turns, but not quite. I ran the tough cut on some pretty steep ground and tight places, no problem so far. Will trouble jump up and bite me when I least expect it?

prs

/ Break'n da roolz............ #2  
Welcome to VENTRAC !
That rule is just so the duals won't rub and maybe for some attachments.
I leave mine in the inner hole and it is fine.
It hasn't been with guy wires, but I have found myself with a small tree between front and rear tires (not often). It may not be advisable, but I have put something that can be tipped under the rear 3-N-1 and used down pressure to lift the rear and then pushed it to the side for clearance. That method might not work too well on a slope. :eek: I also keep a come along strapped to my ROPS so I have it with me.

/ Break'n da roolz............ #3  
Over a period of several years, I have done this 4 times, each time getting a utility pole trapped between the front and rear duals. It is always on a slope. My solution has been to remove the rear dual and drive forward. Of course this requires jacking up the rear of the tractor or using down force with the 3N1 Adapter on the 3 point hitch. Each time I scold myself and vow to never again try to mow so close to a pole on a slope. Getting older sucks!

Attachments

• IMG_0696 copy.jpg
    IMG_0696 copy.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 207
   / Break'n da roolz............ #4  
Next time you get hung up like this try turning away from the wire or post with the mower lifted up (not going forward or backward).
Now put the mower down and push it down so you lift the front wheels off the ground.
Turn the tractor steering all the way to the other side, this should move the center of the tractor away from the obstacle.
Now lift the mower up again and turn back the other way moving the middle of the tractor closer to the wire again but moving the mower further away and up higher on the slope.
Push the mower down and lift the front wheels off the ground again........
Repeat until you can drive up the slope clear of the wire :)
Works every time for me! :)
It's much easier to mow under a guy wire like that if you can come straight up the slope and then swing the mower under the wire from the side.
Articulated tractors are by far the safest and most flexible design there is but you have to learn their secrets (tricks).
You'll catch on, have fun!

/ Break'n da roolz............
Jack, you really were snared! Yes, getting older seems to present some disadvantages. Wiser does not help one itty bit if we are too stubborn or too distractible to use what we have learned.

SnoFighter, that trick seems workable. Should have been obvious to have tried doing that.

PigeonRoost Slim

/ Break'n da roolz............ #6  
What SnoFighter said is not a trick it is a way of life if you ever ran a loader. It will get you out of a ditch or are bellied out on soft ground…...

/ Break'n da roolz............ #7  
I've done this a few times with my Steiners,I've been able to get out of it in most cases by simply removing the 4-6 weights from the weight bar and placing them on the front bar of the mower deck.his transfers between 220-330 lbs and pops the rear of the steiner right up when you lift the mower deck,then the offending tire will ride right up in the air and you can push it right around the obstruction.The ventrac deck doesn't have a bar to hang the weights on,and the weights aren't as heavy,so I'm not sure if it would be effective on a ventrac.