Ventrac versus traditional tractor with bush hog

/ Ventrac versus traditional tractor with bush hog #1  

presnewt

Silver Member
Tractor
Steiner 440
I live on a farm with 100+ acres of pasture. We had cattle in past but not anymore so we have to cut some of the pasture. Most folks here used "traditional" tractors with bush hog attachments. I would like something with front end mounted mower though and have done some research on Ventrac. The Ventrac is definitely the better choice for slope mowing but does how does a Ventrac compare to a traditional tractor with bush hog on straight pasture cutting? Is it faster/slower/about the same? The ventrac I am considering is the model 4500 with tough cut attachment. Thanks for your time.

/ Ventrac versus traditional tractor with bush hog #2  
A big reason a Ventrac wouldn't ever work on my farm is, lack of ground clearance!

Also, I don't keep my fields manicured, so I need a rotary cutter that's bigger/heavier and that means a bigger cutter than a Ventrac will run, as I don't want to be out there forever trying to get something done.

SR

/ Ventrac versus traditional tractor with bush hog #3  
I live on a farm with 100+ acres of pasture. We had cattle in past but not anymore so we have to cut some of the pasture. Most folks here used "traditional" tractors with bush hog attachments. I would like something with front end mounted mower though and have done some research on Ventrac. The Ventrac is definitely the better choice for slope mowing but does how does a Ventrac compare to a traditional tractor with bush hog on straight pasture cutting? Is it faster/slower/about the same? The ventrac I am considering is the model 4500 with tough cut attachment. Thanks for your time.

Stick to batwing bush hog and tractor for mowing farm grass. If you want front mount mower look into front 3 point for tractor.

/ Ventrac versus traditional tractor with bush hog #4  
How big of a mower do you want to run? The Ventrac is more maneuverable than a conventional tractor with 3PH or pull type bush hog but also limited i the size of mower you can run. Like Sawyer rob stated you will be giving up ground clearance.

/ Ventrac versus traditional tractor with bush hog #5  
Rented a Ventrac with front mower last season (and actually had two different ones) to assist in mowing the 50 acre apple orchard where I work. They were fantastic for maneuvering around and under the trees and were very stable feeling on the steep hillsides that are the farm there.

Other than that I prefer using the 4320 and brushbull mower setup they have to cut with.

/ Ventrac versus traditional tractor with bush hog
Rented a Ventrac with front mower last season (and actually had two different ones) to assist in mowing the 50 acre apple orchard where I work. They were fantastic for maneuvering around and under the trees and were very stable feeling on the steep hillsides that are the farm there.

Other than that I prefer using the 4320 and brushbull mower setup they have to cut with.

DFB

If you had to pick one piece of equipment to cut fields and slopes and around the apple orchard, which would you choose?

/ Ventrac versus traditional tractor with bush hog #7  
Like I said I prefer using the larger framed MFWD hydrostat John Deere compact but does get tiring after a while looking over your shoulder backing in under things and that's where using the front mower Ventrac shines.

But IMO I don't think the Ventrac really has the horsepower you need for cutting down large swaths of heavy tall field grass all day. 50+ acres is a lot. Though I will say their diesel model waaay outperforms the gas engine.

And I agree with what the others have said larger wheel size makes a big difference on rough ground.

There are multiple tractors and cutting equipment setups at the orchard, a 90hp power shuttle Kubota, an 85hp collar shift Deere, the 60" Woods Brush Bull rotary cutter, a 72" flail mower which is supposed to be the main cutting tool and a sickle bar mower they thought they wanted but we never use.

/ Ventrac versus traditional tractor with bush hog #8  
presnewt. I have a Ventrac 4500Z with the rough cut mower and it is NOT a brush hog. My idea of a brush hog is BY Gum, if the tractor will ride it down, the how will chop it up! Consider that the Ventrac is being run off of a single 1/2" V belt and the brush hog has heavy PTO power. Of course, all brush hogs are not created equal. The Ventrac will cut woody tough stems up to about an inch or less with no problem. Stumps from older olive or multiflora rose, no. However, previous well tended cattle fields that are not more than 5 years neglected should be fodder for the tough cut. The Ventrac operational speed is about 5mph max with the rough cut in moderate growth of orchard grass and weeds, much slower in woody growth. The cut quality is mediocre with the rough cut, similar to a medium weight brush hog. The Z model is their strongest with most torque and HP and well above the current diesel due to the EPA crapolla. I use the Ventrac as a mower (the 7' contour) and for pushing back old over grown fence lines with the tough cut. My Ventrac has loaded duals and with the contour it can stick safely to 35 slopes and mow to lawn quality of about 15 acres in a normal day. I have a traditional tractor for the heavier work. 100 acres and you have a LIFE, get a bigger machine! Slopes steeper than 25, use the Ventrac with duals and sacrifice your time. Deep pockets with lots of spend'n loot, get both, or like me, save-up! I did all of mine with a compact JD650 or over 30 years after initial use of an International 424 with heavy hog.

prs

/ Ventrac versus traditional tractor with bush hog #9  

I don't have a Ventrac, I have a Power Trac, which has all the attachments out front as well. My 48" brush cutter is on the FEL arms. It's great for cutting trails, hills, underbrush, etc... because you mow down everything before you run it over with the tractor. They make much larger units, too. However, I wouldn't want to cut large acreage with it. How much area are you planning to mow?

/ Ventrac versus traditional tractor with bush hog #10  
I don't have a Ventrac, I have a Power Trac, which has all the attachments out front as well. My 48" brush cutter is on the FEL arms. It's great for cutting trails, hills, underbrush, etc... because you mow down everything before you run it over with the tractor. They make much larger units, too. However, I wouldn't want to cut large acreage with it. How much area are you planning to mow?

I'd go with a traditional tractor unless your land is smooth and rock free,and you have lots of time...the horsepower isn't there on a ventrac for high speed or high production mowing big pastures if you have let them go for long periods of time,it will do it but slowly. One previous post stated a 1/2" belt was the drive ,and this is incorrect,it's a 5/8" belt drive which is much stronger than a 1/2" ,with the 75hp rated PTO clutch the setup is definitely adequate but is no comparison to. 540 Pto and gearbox brushhog......another comment was how the diesel was more powerful,and that too is not the case,it may be more efficient but the most powerful ventrac engine is the 31 Kawi DFI,the kubota 3 cylinder 32.5 is rated higher but the Kawi is stronger and more fuel efficient,but the kubota should have an engine life advantage,as they are a very well built engine.the kubota diesel is a great engine too just a little less power .Do not under any circumstances buy a used 31 turbodiesel,it's an unreliable headache engine,I've yet to see 1 make it to 2000 hrs without major issues,it's also a known an overheater,especially
mowing pastures,and they aren't made anymore,parts are no longer available.