Buyers remorse

/ Buyers remorse #1  

tdhandm

January 23, 2016
Today I went out to plow out from the about two feet of snow to find my Ventrac 4500K with yet another problem. Although it started and will move forward and backwards it will not steer and the snow blade will not operate. The Ventrac has 167 hours on it. I checked the hydraulic fluid level to make sure it was OK and then called dealer. My dealer says it is my fault because I didn稚 read the service manual as the machine needs hydraulic service after fifty hours and that is why it won稚 work. I rechecked my manual which says to change filter after one thousand hours not 50 hours. This is just another in a long list of problems I have had with this overpriced machine. Right from the beginning the machine backfires when you turn off the key and I have been given several conflicting instructions on how to make it stop doing this. Also the speedometer has never worked. I had only a few hours on the tractor when the fuel pump quit working and was replaced with a makeshift electric fuel pump. I could go on about other problems concerning broken bolts and belts but I知 told that those are just 杜inor things and I will love this machine. It is true that I do like the tractor when it is working but it is not reliable and you cannot depend on it. Buyers beware.
Regards,
Ray L Dixon

/ Buyers remorse #2  
What year is it? Call the factory in Ohio, they do back their product.

/ Buyers remorse #3  
Right from the beginning the machine backfires when you turn off the key and I have been given several conflicting instructions on how to make it stop doing this.

I know nothing about your Ventrac, and I don't know what instructions you've been given to keep it from backfiring. However, my Toro ZTR would really backfire big time until I figured out how to prevent it. The dealer had told me to not try to shut it down at idle. The manual simply says to "Move the throttle lever to between Fast and half throttle" then turn the key off. That did not work. BUT, I've found that all I have to do is bring the throttle all the way back to idle, wait just long enough for the engine to wind down to idle, shove the throttle all the way to wide open, and turn off the key promptly before the engine gets up to speed. I always do that and it never backfires.

So that may or may not help with your machine. It's just what works with mine.

/ Buyers remorse #4  
Lots of things dont seem right here.

I assume you have the B&S vanguard engine? If so, that appears to be the cheapest offering in the 4500. The others being kawasaki and kubota.

In either case, in small engines, many of them backfire and its about finding the right shutdown procedure. My kohler on my scag does the same thing and I do similar to what Bird said. Only I shut the key off first THEN promptly shove the lever to full throttle. But normally I dont even worry about the back fire.

But the two things I find really disturbing is

1. Big conflict between what your dealer says, and what you say is written in the manual. Typically, a first service on a new machine IS done at 50 hours. Then there-after whatever interval the manual calls for. You have lots of new parts that need broken in. And further, are you POSITIVE this calls for 1000hr hydraulic oil/filter change? Because that seems like a VERY long time for that type of a machine. I personally wouldnt want to run it that long without changing. Especially if this thing only sees ~50-100hrs a year. Cause that would be 10 years of condensation contamination. Which could be your issue. How old is the machine? If it is more than a few, and never changed the oil, it could have moisture in the oil freezing up a valve or something.

2. Second thing that is disturbing IMO is your speedometer never worked and the fuel pump quit after just a few hours. Ok, no big deal, things happen. BUT WHY didnt you get the speedo fixed, and WHY was the fuel pump repair a "makeshift repair" and not replaced with an OEM unit? I assume you bought this new, and that it came with a warranty?

If anything, you are guilty of not making you dealer preform proper warranty repairs.

But as to the current problem at hand, need some of the above questions answered before I can even speculate.

/ Buyers remorse #5  
You would be helping us help you by saying where you're located. And I'd worry less about being remorseful, and more about finding a way to get your issues resolved properly. The gauge and fuel pump repairs, or lack thereof sound off to me. Someone is not doing their job properly,and these things need to be fixed, if under warranty, with factory replacement parts.
The trans oil filter thing is something that should be done, warranty or not, sooner than later at this point so a new filter can begin to do it's work.
If you're in a frozen climate a hydraulic filter could have accumulated particulate and condensation causing it to eventually bypass doing any filtration, or worst case it could be frozen solid if there is a lot of condensation/water present. Hydraulic filtration is as important, if not more important that engine oil filtration, due to higher pressures and the need for absolutely clean oil for functionality. Regardless of book specs, doing a filter change, and possibly a simultaneous hydraulic fluid change can't hurt the tractor, and can only insure you are knowing when both were last changed out, for your records and possible better results in current climatic conditions like you find yourself currently experiencing.
Give us more details, then we can better help you.

/ Buyers remorse #6  
I wouldn't expect a reply from the OP. He's only made 3 posts. His first was in 2009 to complain about a log splitter and dealer. His second was 5 years later ( Oct, 2014 ) to complain about this Ventrac purchase and dealer, and his third post was this thread about the same Ventrac and dealer.

So he needs to help himself. :rolleyes:

/ Buyers remorse #7  
If you're in a frozen climate a hydraulic filter could have accumulated particulate and condensation causing it to eventually bypass doing any filtration, or worst case it could be frozen solid if there is a lot of condensation/water present.

That's the first thing that came to mind for me also.

/ Buyers remorse #8  
I wouldn't expect a reply from the OP. He's only made 3 posts. His first was in 2009 to complain about a log splitter and dealer. His second was 5 years later ( Oct, 2014 ) to complain about this Ventrac purchase and dealer, and his third post was this thread about the same Ventrac and dealer.

So he needs to help himself. :rolleyes:

Such a cynic!:laughing: Where's your faith in people?!:confused:

/ Buyers remorse #9  
Maybe he has been here all along and just does not like to post. 1000 hours seems like a long time fluid change though.

/ Buyers remorse #10  
Interesting, the other two posts that is.

Seems freezing is a real issue, obviously, since he needs it to plow snow. I am guessing location somewhere around morgantown WV since that's the location of the dealer he named in the other post.

It appears he bought it in summer 2014 So 167 hrs isn't alot in that time. Condensation is a real issue. But that said, doesn't ventrac have a 3year residential warranty? So why are so many things wrong/broke that ain't being taken care of?

Murphy, you have a 4500 don't you? Care to shed some light on the 1000hr hydro service he claims?