Camera for Assistance when Mounting Attachments

/ Camera for Assistance when Mounting Attachments #1  

John Joseph McVeigh

Gold Member
Tractor
Ventrac 4500Y
I just got by email a NAPA sales flyer that includes mention of the Peak PKC0BU4 4.3-Inch Wireless Back-Up Camera. There is a range of positive and negative reviews of this particular system at the Amazon web site, and at other web sites.

I have been thinking about trying out such a camera, mounting the sensor up front and pointed down toward the hitch arms, to make alignment of the hitch arms less challenging when attempting to engage an attachment. I have been craning my neck and positioning my head just so to see the hitch arms and the attachment arms through a small window of visibility on the left side of the tractor (left from the perspective of one sitting in the operator's seat). I expect than owners of 3x00 series Ventrac tractors have no problem seeing the hitch arms, but I find that, when sitting on my 4500Y, a little more guidance would sometimes help. Hence, my interest in such a camera.

If anyone has tried the camera approach, I welcome suggestions. If there's a trick of the trade that I'm missing, I welcome suggestions in that regard, too.

Best,

JJM

/ Camera for Assistance when Mounting Attachments #2  
See the link below.
A wireless system would work but I think you still have to supply power to the camera as well as the monitor.
The link below also includes a 7" monitor which is much easier to see than the 4.3". There are many of us who bought and installed this setup. I and quite a few others have cameras front and back since the 7" monitor is switchable between 2 cameras. I installed the 2 cam setup and it works well and was not hard to install.

A backup camera for $50!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 15!!!!!!!!!!!

/ Camera for Assistance when Mounting Attachments #3  
YES, FOR SURE THAT'S THE WAY TO GO.
And $50 range is factual but from offshore so 4 weeks lead time.

I have one on mt tractor for snow blowing and am totally satisfied. Next I plan to add 2nd camera for my FEL.

/ Camera for Assistance when Mounting Attachments #4  
YES, FOR SURE THAT'S THE WAY TO GO.
And $50 range is factual but from offshore so 4 weeks lead time.

I have one on mt tractor for snow blowing and am totally satisfied. Next I plan to add 2nd camera for my FEL.

When I ordered mine I ordered 8 cameras from the company in the link and 4 monitors from another. All came within a week. I know they originated overseas but someone in the states had them in stock at the time. I've since had to replace 3 cameras and one monitor since purchasing. (originally ordered monitors and cameras for me and a couple friends)

/ Camera for Assistance when Mounting Attachments #5  
I just got by email a NAPA sales flyer that includes mention of the Peak PKC0BU4 4.3-Inch Wireless Back-Up Camera. There is a range of positive and negative reviews of this particular system at the Amazon web site, and at other web sites.

I have been thinking about trying out such a camera, mounting the sensor up front and pointed down toward the hitch arms, to make alignment of the hitch arms less challenging when attempting to engage an attachment. I have been craning my neck and positioning my head just so to see the hitch arms and the attachment arms through a small window of visibility on the left side of the tractor (left from the perspective of one sitting in the operator's seat). I expect than owners of 3x00 series Ventrac tractors have no problem seeing the hitch arms, but I find that, when sitting on my 4500Y, a little more guidance would sometimes help. Hence, my interest in such a camera.

If anyone has tried the camera approach, I welcome suggestions. If there's a trick of the trade that I'm missing, I welcome suggestions in that regard, too.

Best,

JJM

Most backup cameras produce a mirror image just like a rearview mirror so be sure that is what you want. Some may have a provision or switch to produce a normal image.

/ Camera for Assistance when Mounting Attachments #6  
Perhaps a motorcycle type mirror. Even on on a magnetic base that can be placed until hooked-up and then removed to avoid loss around brush or shrubs.

Another thing, everything up front and on the attachment is red or worn metal/red. Maybe paint the tractor arms black and the attachment ends white. If that farging seat safety switch were to be by passed, the driver could stand up and see to line-up the coupling.

Then again, in the amount of time I would speed rigging all that up, I could attach about 1,000 times without assistance...............

prs

/ Camera for Assistance when Mounting Attachments
Most backup cameras produce a mirror image just like a rearview mirror so be sure that is what you want. Some may have a provision or switch to produce a normal image.

Thank you for raising that very good point!

/ Camera for Assistance when Mounting Attachments #8  
Thank you for raising that very good point!

On the cameras / monitor I bought (from the link in post 2) the monitor has buttons to produce the normal image you would see in a mirror. I had to switch the view on the front mount camera to view correctly as the camera switches left and right sides.

/ Camera for Assistance when Mounting Attachments #9  
I always look down the right side. Its a small window but its there and easy enough to see given good lighting.

/ Camera for Assistance when Mounting Attachments
I always look down the right side. Its a small window but its there and easy enough to see given good lighting.

Thank you for your reply, jrsue. By the right side, are you referring to the right side as seen from the operator's seated position? If I recall correctly, there is a small window of through visibility on the left side (as seen from the operator's seated position). I'll have to check tomorrow morning, but I seem to recall that the visibility seemed better on the left side than the right (both as seen from the operator's seated position).