VENTRAC OWNERS: HELP! STEERING ISSUES KT4200

/ VENTRAC OWNERS: HELP! STEERING ISSUES KT4200 #1  

911Arnie

Tractor
John Deere 1070 w/ FEL, Ventrac 4200; Hustler Super 104 and Raptor SD 60
Hi, guys!
I just bought a used Ventrac 4200 VXD with the 31 hp turbo diesel, dual high flotation tires, 3 pt. hitch, rear weights, front and rear hydraulic outlets and offset 72" front mount mower. I am told it is a 2002 model with a 2 year old engine and it seems to be in pretty good shape for a 14 year old tractor. I am a farm owner, not a commercial user. I am used to using a Hustler Super 104 (zero-turn, and one HECK of a mower), so getting used to an articulated tractor is trying, to say the least. The Ventrac will go places the Hustler never will, especially on spongy ground. The problem I am experiencing is that the Ventrac doesn't like to turn, especially to the left. You can't get it to budge in either direction unless it's moving, and it takes a LOT of effort to turn to the left even when you start moving. If you're stationary, all it will do is "jiggle" a little bit. Turning to the right is better, but still takes added effort when moving slowly. My question is, is this normal? And in case you ask, the engine was running at full rated throttle. One other possibly related problem is that the tractor will turn quite a bit sharper to the right than to the left. Anyone had a problem like this or have an idea what might be causing it? Thanks!

/ VENTRAC OWNERS: HELP! STEERING ISSUES KT4200 #2  
I know in my manual they talk about where the steering cylinder mounting hole should be used. If you look under your left foot when sitting on it you will see where the what hole is being used. On my machine which is a 4500Y the middle hole would be used for dual wheels. Hope this helps.

/ VENTRAC OWNERS: HELP! STEERING ISSUES KT4200
I know in my manual they talk about where the steering cylinder mounting hole should be used. If you look under your left foot when sitting on it you will see where the what hole is being used. On my machine which is a 4500Y the middle hole would be used for dual wheels. Hope this helps.

OK, thanks! Mine has the dual wheels and it is set in the middle hole also. It's like either the hydraulic system doesn't develop enough pressure to move the cylinder or the cylinder is too small or lacks sufficient force or power to make the machine turn. I am debating asking to return the machine for a refund, not knowing if they would agree to doing that.

/ VENTRAC OWNERS: HELP! STEERING ISSUES KT4200 #4  
Maybe it is a simple problem and the seller is familiar with it and could help?

/ VENTRAC OWNERS: HELP! STEERING ISSUES KT4200 #5  
Since you are having issues turning both left and right I would check the following. Hydraulic fluid level. Make sure to check when cold. Any obstructions in the steering mechanism? Sometimes sticks, mud or other debris can become lodged in pivot points making steering difficult. Perhaps changing hydraulic filters might correct the problem. Could also be power steering unit failure. Visually inspect every component and fluid level. If you need help on procedures there are online manuals at Ventrac.com, also people at the factory are great at helping customers with problems. If all else fails a trip to a dealer would no doubt be in order. Good luck, let us know what you find.

Since you are having issues turning both left and right I would check the following. Hydraulic fluid level. Make sure to check when cold. Any obstructions in the steering mechanism? Sometimes sticks, mud or other debris can become lodged in pivot points making steering difficult. Perhaps changing hydraulic filters might correct the problem. Could also be power steering unit failure. Visually inspect every component and fluid level. If you need help on procedures there are online manuals at Ventrac.com, also people at the factory are great at helping customers with problems. If all else fails a trip to a dealer would no doubt be in order. Good luck, let us know what you find.

I managed to talk to a guy at the dealer. Before advising what he said, I was told that this was a used unit (obviously) that had been totally gone through, checked and inspected. New filters, new hydraulic and engine oil and it was ready to go. BTW, the tach needle swings horribly, varying as much as 1,000 rpm. It had some new parts installed on the 3 pt. hitch. After consulting with Ventrac, the remote diagnosis was a bent steering cylinder. My thoughts: A VERY LARGE MAYBE. How a salesman could operate it himself for over an hour before bringing it out to me and not be aware of the problem? Hmmm. I detest wearing a "SUCKER" t-shirt. You have no idea how hopeful I am that this will solve the the problem but I am a bit skeptical that it will. I watched the video by Mr. Steiner introducing the 4500 and distinctly heard him say that the steering was one of the issues that was being addressed with the release of the 4500. Just as an FYI, the 4200 has a 1.5 inch diameter steering cylinder, and the 4500 has a 1.75 inch diameter cylinder. The parts do not interchange. The hydraulic pump may also be "tired" and not developing the pressure that it should be generating. I will ask them to check that. They are coming out Monday to pick it up and install a new steering cylinder. I have my fingers crossed, really. I am very impressed with tghe Ventrac and what it is capable of, when it works as it should. If I had the money, I'd tell them to bring me a new one.

/ VENTRAC OWNERS: HELP! STEERING ISSUES KT4200 #7  
I had noticed the remark about the 4500 having improved steering, but what you report is beyond anything they could have released as normal. A bent steering cylinder did not come to mind for me, but as good a WAG as any and better than most. I was fearing that the service tech had failed to run the external filtering tool after opening the central system. Hoping Raw Dodge could shine some light on that subject.

prs

I had noticed the remark about the 4500 having improved steering, but what you report is beyond anything they could have released as normal. A bent steering cylinder did not come to mind for me, but as good a WAG as any and better than most. I was fearing that the service tech had failed to run the external filtering tool after opening the central system. Hoping Raw Dodge could shine some light on that subject.

prs

The salesman (older guy like me) cautioned me about hydraulic system integrity, saying any time you opened it, you had to be EXTREMELY careful and not contaminate the oil, as any foreign matter could effectively trash the system. Maybe someone was not as careful as they should have been? Just my luck! A compromised pump? I am considering telling them to keep it and bring me a new one. All it would cost would be another measly $15K. Let me ask this of anyone reading this post: with the engine running at full throttle, will your 4500 "oscillate or articulate" from full left to full right while sitting still, or do you have to be moving for it to "pivot" fully left and right? I hope I am making sense. If you try to turn the wheel on my 4200 while sitting still, it won't move, just jiggle a little bit. I would love to hear what RawDodge thinks. He sounds like the "go to" guy for Ventracs. Thank you all for your thoughts about my little problem.

/ VENTRAC OWNERS: HELP! STEERING ISSUES KT4200 #9  
I have a 4500P that was delivered new in April, 2016. It will turn full left to full right with engine slightly above idle with no issues.

/ VENTRAC OWNERS: HELP! STEERING ISSUES KT4200 #10  
A bent jack is easy to see and i doubt it is whats wrong. If it travels ok and will pick up the mower deck easy, i would bet on the steering valve……… jim