Ventrac 3000 - Review after 4.8 hours use

/ Ventrac 3000 - Review after 4.8 hours use #1  

Bob_Skurka

I've been using the new Ventrac 3000 around the property and just thought I'd provide a review of what I've experienced after use. The Ventrac is replacing my Cub Cadet, and I expect the majority of its time will be spent mowing.

From the standpoint of mowing, the Ventrac is an amazing machine. It is NOT a ZTR in terms of manuverability or speed, but it is much faster at mowing than the Cub Cadet. Most of our landscaping is free form with tight radius curves and compound curves, the Cub Cadet could not follow all the curves causing us to back up a lot which really slows down the mowing. The Ventrac turns in 1/2 the space of a typical garden tractor so it follows the planting beds with ease, speeding up the mowing considerably.

For mowing fields, the Ventrac any the Cub Cadet are pretty much equals. Either machine is well suited for mowing long straight lines back and forth.

For mowing slopes, the Ventrac wins hands down. We have an area that drops down about 15 from the roadway down to a valley with a fairly steep but short slope. The area is over grown with weeds and there was a 30' run that we mowed with the Cub Cadet, the remaining 120' was left unmowed because of a smattering of trees. By the end of each summer weeds would grow 5' or 6' tall. The Cub was able to mow UP & DOWN the slope but only in the area where there were no trees because it was too unstable to turn across the slope. Today I took the Ventrac to the same area, mowed about 80' or 90' of the area, simply turning around the trees, driving across the slope, making 360 degree turns around the trees, etc. I was amazed.

Other observations: The speed and direction controls are duplicated in both a foot pedal and a stalk that is controlled by hand. Both work in unision. I found that in some conditions I used the hand stalk, in others I used the foot control. It was one of things I liked during the test drive but did not realize how useful it was until I actually used the tractor. The Steiner tractors would do everything the Ventrac will do, but it did not have the same controls an I am glad that I chose the Ventrac if only for that one feature.

Compared to mowing with a Cub Cadet, mowing time was cut by 50% in our valley area using the Ventrac because of the added manuverability and ability to more easily adjust speed, yielding a much faster cutting time.

Mowing time in the fields was about equal between the Ventrac and the Cub Cadet. There was no significant advantage to the Ventrac.

Mowing time around the house where most of the landscaping is, was reduced by about 50% using the Ventrac. In fact, I was able to get into areas where the Cub Cadet would not go, so we eliminated the need to use the push mower completely. And the odd thing is, the Cub Cadet is smaller than the Ventrac in overall size, it is just not able to move into and out of areas the the Ventrac got into with its front mounted deck.

It should be noted that the Ventrac has a 52" mowing deck. My Cub Cadet has a 54" mowing deck. I expect the Ventrac to reduce mowing time by about 90 minutes a week.

/ Ventrac 3000 - Review after 4.8 hours use #2  
Bob,

It's nice to have another Ventrac owner on the board. I believe we are the only 2 right now.

You have not commented on the use of the Weight Transfer system when mowing on hills. I find it to be one of the most useful features of the tractor since it makes a tremendous difference in steering and traction performance when mowing on steep slopes.

JackIL

/ Ventrac 3000 - Review after 4.8 hours use #3  
Aren't front mount mower great! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I can get into 90 degree corners and only have a small, 8" or so quarter circle to trim up with the string trimmer. Even with my smallest lawn tractor with mid mount mower, I had a couple of feet left to trim. Front mount mowers are now the only thing I would ever use, period! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Have you mowed UNDER anything yet? Ain't that great? You can get a few feet under low hanging branches without getting a face full of sap or your eyes poked with sticks OR your tractor getting all scratched up.

In tall grass you get to mow the stuff BEFORE you run over it. Makes for a much nicer cut.

Glad you are enjoying the fruits of your search. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Ventrac 3000 - Review after 4.8 hours use
Moss. . . the difference is amazing! Very hard to describe the feeling and the abilities without actually getting on a front mount machine and driving it. I was very skeptical at first and wanted to dismiss the front mount implements but the more research I did, the more the tractors with front mount implements make sense. And actually using a tractor with a front mount implement is a totally new experience. I got under trees and bushes I would have had to trim under, or scratch my face on a branch or simply ignore. The Cub Cadet and the Ventrac both travel at about the same speed, but the Ventrac's actual speed of mowing is also much faster, I presume because of the added manuverability combined with the up front deck.

I'm still trying to figure out how the weight transfer system actually works, but I know it does because I mowed stuff I would have never even attempted to mow. And I mowed it with ease and total confidence.

/ Ventrac 3000 - Review after 4.8 hours use #5  
Bob ... call me first when the B2910 goes on the block. If you ABSOLUTELY HAVE to sell BOTH the blue and the orange at the same time, well, I can't swing that. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I see no compelling reason for you to have either at this point. Lose 'em and buy a boat or sumpin (after you've gotten the PT1480 of course).

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Doug, I actually was looking at buying a small island off the coast of Belize in central America earlier today and wondering how to get all my tractors down there. But IF the time comes to sell, I'll give you a call . . .

/ Ventrac 3000 - Review after 4.8 hours use #7  
If you have to wonder......

/ Ventrac 3000 - Review after 4.8 hours use #9  
Yeah, I think it's called fantasy! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bingo