Attaching attachments

/ Attaching attachments #1  

MountainBuck

Silver Member
Tractor
Ventrac 4500P; Kubota RTV-X1100C
I've had my new 4500P for a week now. However, I'm really having problems with picking up and dropping attachments.

My first time attaching the landscape rake took two hours. After the first hour, I called the dealer and he told me to just push it up against a wall or tree. I was reluctant to do that so went and got some rubber chocks and after the second hour, got the rake attached. Taking the implement off was also difficult. Attaching the rough cut mower then took about 1/2 hour with the chock method.

Its typically the last inch or so that is the worst. As a younger man I would have just wrestled the implements on, but my back won't let me do anything like that anymore.

I've thought about greasing the front posts. If I didn't think it would void the warranty, I'd file the sharp edges off those posts, but for what I paid for it, can't afford to void the warranty in the first month.

This was all on flat level concrete. I tried positioning the rake on ramps but that made it worse. I'm now thinking of driving some anchors in the barn and chaining the implements to them as I drop them and attach them. I'm also toying with a chain solution that hooks to the front frame of the tractor and pulls the implement onto it.

Any ideas?

/ Attaching attachments #2  
Welcome to TBN.

Buy a quick hitch.

Put the implements on dollies.

Buy a tractor for each implement.

:)

Bruce

/ Attaching attachments #3  
Welcome to TBN. It was very hard at first for me too. But as it wears in and you get better at it things get easier. I did put a dab of grease on the slides. That machine is very well built so don't baby it.

/ Attaching attachments #4  
Oops I just assumed it had a typical 3pth...............never mind

Last edited:
   / Attaching attachments #5  
Sorry to hear you experienced difficulties. My initial thought is to be sure that the Weight Transfer system is DISENGAGED when attaching and detaching attachments. Definitely DO NOT push against a tree with the tractor to attempt to complete the engagement. If the attachment has wheels such as a mower deck, place a 2 x 4 on the floor in front of the wheels to prevent the deck from moving. See the following video from Ventrac which explains the process of attaching and detaching.

/ Attaching attachments #6  
I've had my new 4500P for a week now. However, I'm really having problems with picking up and dropping attachments.

My first time attaching the landscape rake took two hours. After the first hour, I called the dealer and he told me to just push it up against a wall or tree. I was reluctant to do that so went and got some rubber chocks and after the second hour, got the rake attached. Taking the implement off was also difficult. Attaching the rough cut mower then took about 1/2 hour with the chock method.

Its typically the last inch or so that is the worst. As a younger man I would have just wrestled the implements on, but my back won't let me do anything like that anymore.

I've thought about greasing the front posts. If I didn't think it would void the warranty, I'd file the sharp edges off those posts, but for what I paid for it, can't afford to void the warranty in the first month.

This was all on flat level concrete. I tried positioning the rake on ramps but that made it worse. I'm now thinking of driving some anchors in the barn and chaining the implements to them as I drop them and attach them. I'm also toying with a chain solution that hooks to the front frame of the tractor and pulls the implement onto it.

Any ideas?

The landscape rake hooks up easier with the guide wheels in the long position. I also find that pulling close to the rake and hooking up the hydraulics and electric before driving into the hitch allows you to dig the rake into the ground allowing a firmer platform to connect to.

I had some issues with the rough cut until I began using 4x4's to set the mower down on rather than using the adjusting foot that is integral with the mower. I never lower the foot when I unhook.

Clearances are pretty tight on new attachments. After a few hours of operation they become easier to attach. Good luck!

Bruce

/ Attaching attachments #8  
I have 7-8 various implements sitting on pallets out in the orchard. I can vividly remember the first time I attached a couple of them. I must have moved the tractor a dozen times and pinched my fingers several times also.

Believe me, with time you will gain experience - learn a couple crafty tricks - and on/off will become easier. At least you are working on a hard, level surface. ALL my implements are slightly off of level and have to be pulled, pried & horsed to make connection.

I have gained sufficient experience that I can back up to an implement and usually make connection without moving the tractor a second time. This has only come with a LOT of trial & error.

One major advantage - my lower arms have extendable ends. I also have a very big pry bar.

When I back up to attach, my lower arms are swinging completely free - I've completely undone the stabilizer bars - and the extendable lower arm ends are completely retracted. This allows for max flexibility to get the implement pins attached to the lower arms. The top link is easy because I have a hydraulic top link.

Just go easy - remember what works well - be safe.

/ Attaching attachments #9  
Ossik, its not a 3 pt hitch.

Mountain Buck has gotten some good pointers. Like Jack said, make sure the transfer is relaxed. Drive into the implement with your lift bars down a good bit and lift to just make contact once almost to the coupler. At that point, the level of the implement couper to the tractor's coupler pins varies a little. You will remember the sweet spot for each in time. On slick concrete, I can not get framing lumber to serve as chocks, they just skid. Rubber wheel chocks grab much better.

prs

/ Attaching attachments #10