Tires - Steiner - Golf cart?

/ Tires - Steiner - Golf cart? #1  

SteinerGuy

Tractor
Lamborghini Runner 450, Steiner S-20
My S-20 has the V-bar style tires and, although they grip very well, I can see they are damaging the lawn in some spots. I don't really need that aggressive of a tire, we do have steep hills but I don't think I would have traction issues (my old 2wd mower would not spin out, it just felt like it was going to tip over). One source of cheap tires seems to be golf carts, lots of new ones being taken off to put fancy wheels on. I would even entertain running smaller 18" ones since I don't really need the ground clearance (all I do is mow). Anyone tried this before? The bolt pattern on a golf cart looks to be the same as the 4 bolt Steiner hubs.

/ Tires - Steiner - Golf cart? #2  
Rather than golf cart tires,,, I would look at ATV tires.
I think ATV tires are really designed for this type application.

/ Tires - Steiner - Golf cart?
I've seen the units equipped with four types of tires- The V bar style, the intermediate (ATV) style, the lawn tractor style, and a few with sawtooth style tires that look like they were from a golf cart. The nice thing with golf cart tires are that you can pick them up for 25 bucks each on rims and they are often new. I would keep the aggressive tires and swap them out when I need more traction. I found a post where RawDodge was using golf cart tires on one of his units, but it was for use on greens and other delicate turf, not sure how it would work on any kind of hill.

/ Tires - Steiner - Golf cart? #4  
I've seen the units equipped with four types of tires- The V bar style, the intermediate (ATV) style, the lawn tractor style, and a few with sawtooth style tires that look like they were from a golf cart. The nice thing with golf cart tires are that you can pick them up for 25 bucks each on rims and they are often new. I would keep the aggressive tires and swap them out when I need more traction. I found a post where RawDodge was using golf cart tires on one of his units, but it was for use on greens and other delicate turf, not sure how it would work on any kind of hill.

We use sawtooth gold cart style tires on one of our Steiners, I love them,and it goes about 98 percent of the places the sawtooth will go,and about 90 perfect of the places Carlisle turf traxx will. golf cart tires are too small,I've tried the 18x8x9 and you don't get enough ground clearance or ground speed we did use the years ago for greens only,once I found the 22x11x8 size I found the perfect compromise. believe it or not the sawtooth tires gold side hills remarkably well,as
Nd climb anything you need to,the issue is once you do break traction regaining control is harder on wet grass...You can use cart rims,Club cars fit right in,they are an inch narrower and do not have as heavy duty a bead lock but they work fine and have held up to 15 years of abuse no problem. Here are a few pics of my 1997 420 steiner on a putting green with the 22x11x8s.they are on it year round .

Attachments

• image-942897761.jpg
    image-942897761.jpg
    672.4 KB · Views: 456
  • image-1703609780.jpg
    image-1703609780.jpg
    433.1 KB · Views: 374
  • image-1937577772.jpg
    image-1937577772.jpg
    445.3 KB · Views: 338
  • image-1347498799.jpg
    image-1347498799.jpg
    341.4 KB · Views: 385
   / Tires - Steiner - Golf cart? #5  
We use sawtooth gold cart style tires on one of our Steiners, I love them,and it goes about 98 percent of the places the sawtooth will go,and about 90 perfect of the places Carlisle turf traxx will. golf cart tires are too small,I've tried the 18x8x9 and you don't get enough ground clearance or ground speed we did use the years ago for greens only,once I found the 22x11x8 size I found the perfect compromise. believe it or not the sawtooth tires gold side hills remarkably well,as Nd climb anything you need to,the issue is once you do break traction regaining control is harder on wet grass...You can use cart rims,Club cars fit right in,they are an inch narrower and do not have as heavy duty a bead lock but they work fine and have held up to 15 years of abuse no problem. Here are a few pics of my 1997 420 steiner on a putting green with the 22x11x8s.they are on it year round .
I apologize for the spelling errors,my iPad changes all my words...btw that's my 70 year old father working the Steiner,that man outworks men 1/3 his age...he has been an incredible example of what a hard working man is to me and my his grandchildren.

/ Tires - Steiner - Golf cart? #6  
What is that black thing on the right hand side of the Steiner?

Are Steiner tires not ultra low pressure tires? My JD E-Gator requires 10 pounds, but isn't the Steiner like a third of that? I would guess that not all tires are designed to flex in the sidewall like a very low pressure tire.

/ Tires - Steiner - Golf cart? #7  
What is that black thing on the right hand side of the Steiner? Are Steiner tires not ultra low pressure tires? My JD E-Gator requires 10 pounds, but isn't the Steiner like a third of that? I would guess that not all tires are designed to flex in the sidewall like a very low pressure tire.
.The tires are fairly low pressure,we run about 8-10 psi in them,I believe they are Chang shin low cost tires,but they've held up great.It does ride slightly firmer with these tires but that's a worthwhile trade off to us.The stock goodyesr rawhide tires are 6psi inner,3 psi outer .We don't use them ,we replaced them with Carlisle Field trax 22-11-8, much better tires for traction in grass and holding a side hill. The thing on the right? It's cup holder,made out of a spare sprinkler housing That's all I can think you mean....

/ Tires - Steiner - Golf cart? #8  
Don't mean to necropost, but since I bought tires for my cart last fall I thought I'd share the deal with yall since I thought it was pretty good. The website I got them on has a turf tread 18x8.5-8" on black steel 8 inch wheels for $208.95 shipped free and no sales tax charge. Works really great around my property (gravel, asphalt and grass). They definitely have taller 20" stuff and 23" stuff I looked at too that could work well on tractors. Now I just need to order my rear seat and get some pics next to my new Kubota I inherited!

8_inch_black_steel_golf_cart_wheels_18x8.50_8_turf_golf_cart_tires_01__75524.1438016413.1280.1280.png

Got them tires here: Golf Cart Accessories & Parts | Golf Cart Tire Supply