New Ventrac 4500z owner

/ New Ventrac 4500z owner #1  

zmountaineer

Silver Member
Tractor
4500Z
So I've been admiring Ventrac tractors ever since my country club bought one in 2011 and that the company who mows the hospital I work at's grass. I'm in WV and hills are numerous and I have seen that thing go up slopes that I can't even walk up easily. We recently built a house on 5.5 acres that my wife's father gave us out of his 130 and it is on top of a sizable hill. We have a 500 yard gravel, curvy, steep driveway and was dreading this first winter, but, alas, no more. My Father-in-law has a 4wd ford 7610 that he said he would keep the driveway clear with it and a grader blade. He just retired and has taking on farming full time so I don't think he is going to have much time to spend keeping my driveway clear. There is a lot of brush that needs cleaned up and a few acres that will be ready to mow come spring. The wife gave the go ahead to buy whatever I wanted and while I kind of wanted a full cab 85hp ford, it wasn't reasonable to cut the grass with and I really, really wanted a ventrac. So I searched and searched and found a couple over the summer that would work (I wasn't going to buy new) I didn't know what kind of money was going to be left over after the house was done. House got done, I knew my budget and up popped the PERFECT used Ventrac for me. Seriously, exactly what I was looking for. 2015 4500z, 160 hours, dual wheels, canopy, custom tool box, 72" finish mower, tough cut mower, 72" dozer blade. The price, to me, was almost unbelievable. How the heck did I luck into this at the perfect time. Once I was there looking at it, it looked brand new. He had other stuff for sale around there and I ended up buying his Bosski ATV wagon as well.

Driving it first time was an experience, I had never driven anything articulated or Hydrostatic before. I found myself tensing up when turning with my feet on the pegs, lol. I have found out that high gear is not to be used on my driveway. I mean, I can make it up, but it sputters at the top....I'll probably leave it in low gear from now on. Speaking of low gear, it seemed nearly impossible to get it in, I literally had to use my foot to get it in to latch. Attaching all the attachments went smoothly and took about 3 minutes for the mower and 4 for the blade (tough cut was already attached), I'm sure I'll get faster at it with some practice and it was pretty much dark out when I unloaded. I was using my iphone flashlight to line up.

Hopefully the last "lawnmower" I need to buy and I can purchase that "big" tractor in a couple years. Or maybe this will be great and I won't need one and borrow the father in laws when I need a loader and large brush hog.

I've been reading this forum and appears that Ventrac owners are overly excited about them. I've learned a few things and this forum stopped me from purchasing the 4231 turbo diesel when I found one....it had had the turbo just replaced. Anyway, just popping in to say "hi" and I'm sure I'll have some questions after using it a while....any tips and pointers would be appreciated.

Attachments

• ventrac2.JPG
    ventrac2.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 1,471
  • ventrac1.JPG
    ventrac1.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 815
   / New Ventrac 4500z owner #2  
Welcome to the fold. You are in for many enjoyable and productive experiences. Sounds like you stumbled onto a great find.

Since you have hills you will find very little need for use of the high range in the transmission. I only use it when driving 2 blocks to the gas station.

Please keep us up to date and post photos.

/ New Ventrac 4500z owner
Welcome to the fold. You are in for many enjoyable and productive experiences. Sounds like you stumbled onto a great find.

Since you have hills you will find very little need for use of the high range in the transmission. I only use it when driving 2 blocks to the gas station.

Please keep us up to date and post photos.

Thanks for the welcome. I will be sure to put this thing to the test on hill climbing. Behind my house is 100 ft "cliff" that the bull Dozer didn't even want to go down but I flashed some money at him and he made the grade "manageable". And by that I mean I think only the ventrac would be able to come up it. Every side of my house has a significant slope that there would be no way of having a regular garden tractor on. The price we pay to be secluded I guess. I wish pictures actually showed slope good. Any that I have on my phone look like anthills. IMG_8072.JPGIMG_7956.JPGIMG_6339.JPGIMG_7190.JPGIMG_7633.JPGIMG_7493.JPG

/ New Ventrac 4500z owner #4  
Looks like a nice clean machine. Welcome to Ventracland.

Looks like a nice clean machine. Welcome to Ventracland.

Clean is an understatement. This thing was cared for. The guy who sold it had a total of 7 of these. He had a business of clearing right of ways for oil/gas companies. He sold the 6 that he used for the business over the summer and this was his own personal machine that he used only to mow his 13 acres. He's in the process of moving across country and is selling most of his toys. His loss is my gain I guess. He hand built that toolbox mount himself. Big enough to fit my 455 rancher in it and mounts to hold a weed eater and shovel.

I don't know why I'm getting excited to "work"

/ New Ventrac 4500z owner #6  
Clean is an understatement. This thing was cared for. The guy who sold it had a total of 7 of these. He had a business of clearing right of ways for oil/gas companies. He sold the 6 that he used for the business over the summer and this was his own personal machine that he used only to mow his 13 acres. He's in the process of moving across country and is selling most of his toys. His loss is my gain I guess. He hand built that toolbox mount himself. Big enough to fit my 455 rancher in it and mounts to hold a weed eater and shovel.

I don't know why I'm getting excited to "work"

How many hours were on it? Post some closer pics of that tool box please...

Not the greatest pictures of the box mount but it was dark when I got home. If there is anything specific you want a picture of then I can get it this weekend when I'm home when it's light out. IMG_8297.JPGIMG_8298.JPGIMG_8299.JPG