Scraper and 4500P

/ Scraper and 4500P #1  

MountainBuck

Silver Member
Tractor
Ventrac 4500P; Kubota RTV-X1100C
I have this scraper

scraper.jpg

I've been debating what to do with it. My 4500P does have a 3 point hitch but my gut says this 6 foot scraper is just too big.

I realize that I would most likely need a shorter top link to be able to tilt the blade up enough to carry it from place to place.

I'm thinking of cutting off a foot on both ends of the scraper making it a 4' width.

I would mostly like to level off some clay based soil and then tilt it to make some water diversion in my drive.

I would appreciate any opinions.

Thanks.

/ Scraper and 4500P #2  
I am a doubting Thomas on this one. Look-up the max weight lift of the Ventrac 3 pt hitch at the end of the drag links. Its probably in the neighborhood of 600 to 650 pounds (an that may be rated at the point where the tractor applies lift to the drag arms), pretty anemic for Cat 1.
Also, take a look at the maximum lift available to the implement. That grader blade needs to tilt and most of them "dip" the leading edge down quite a lot when tilted. Even with the live center link, it will be iffy to get it to clear the ground when tilted very much. Let us know how it goes if you do this.

prs

/ Scraper and 4500P #3  
If you think about it, the blade isn't really super valuable... So you don't have a lot to lose by cutting it down... You already have a 3 point hitch on it, can't hurt to try it...

Mark

/ Scraper and 4500P #4  
I would only cut off 6"off each side so when it is angled it is 4 feet. If you would cut off the top where the top link goes and weld on pieces that have say three holes for the top link to go in it. It would look like a "T"on top and will give you a lot more movement to change the angle of the cutting edge. Plus you may gain some clearance for transport..... just by changing pin holes...... jim

/ Scraper and 4500P #5  
I would only cut off 6"off each side so when it is angled it is 4 feet. If you would cut off the top where the top link goes and weld on pieces that have say three holes for the top link to go in it. It would look like a "T"on top and will give you a lot more movement to change the angle of the cutting edge. Plus you may gain some clearance for transport..... just by changing pin holes...... jim

I agree with Johanna. Only cut 6" from each end. I pull a 5' stone rake with my 4500 y and it works pretty well at 5'

/ Scraper and 4500P
Update to this thread.

I decided to take blade off and start cutting. But before I could start cutting the blade, my neighbor approached me about putting more crusher rock on our drive. He saw my scraper and thought it would be perfect for his kubota tractor. So I put the scraper back together and we ordered the gravel.

When the truck delivered the gravel, she tried to evenly let it pour out the back of the truck onto the drive but because the crusher gravel run was wet, big blobs came out.

I started to try and bring down the piles with my Ventrac and the power bucket attachment. But the kubota with my scraper was able to spread out the huge blobs way faster than I could with bucket loads.

Watching how the scraper functioned on the kubota I began to realize that the ventrac would really struggle lifting it high enough to get it above and over the blobs.

So I sort of drove off with my tail between my legs. Then I thought of putting on the ventrac landscape rake and maybe I could do something to help out.

I returned to find the kubota and scraper had basically finished spreading the crusher run but because the blade was so awkward on the kubota, the road was not smooth at all.

I put the landscape rake in float and then the ventrac really started to shine. Very quickly and easily I was able to smooth out the gravel and do things that the blade just could not do. And this was my first time ever trying to work on gravel of this type. It took me a couple of trial and errors to get the tines to the right height, but my neighbor was quite impressed with how smooth I got the drive.

So I think that is the end of the story right now for the scraper blade. I won't cut it so it can live to scrape another day behind some other tractor. I think to work on the ventrac it would have to be repositioned and rewelded and even then I'm not sure if it would be effective.

Thanks for the input though..

/ Scraper and 4500P #7  
First the driver did not know how to tail gate the stone. The tailgate has chains on it to set the thickness on the ground. You must be moving before you trip the tail gate or it will leave piles. If it was dumped in piles and you want to use the front bucket you start at an edge and work in. You set the the thickness and grade, don't dump it the weight holds it down just take a little at a time and don't spin the wheels. Make sure when you start that your bucket is level and you set the grade it will follow it better than the rear blade..... Jim