Re: PTO Pushrod Pops Out Every Now and Again

/ Re: PTO Pushrod Pops Out Every Now and Again #1  

John Joseph McVeigh

Gold Member
Tractor
Ventrac 4500Y

This happened to me this morning when I was about to try to squeeze some mowing in before the rains came. I brought the engine revs up to about 2100 rpm and pulled the yellow button to activate the Power Take-Off. The PTO engaged. The mower-deck blades began to turn. Then I brought the throttle to the fully open position. The mower deck's blades stopped spinning after perhaps a second or two. I leaned to the right and saw that the pushrod that one uses when attaching or detaching an attachment... the pushrod that moves the pulley on which the attachment's drive belt turns.... had popped out. I engaged the parking brake, reduced the engine rpm, depressed the yellow PTO button, got off the tractor, made sure that the mower deck's drive belt was still on the pulley, and pushed the pushrod back into the belt-engaged position. Then I got back on the tractor, adjusted the rpm, and pulled out the yellow button to engage the PTO as I leaned to the right. I wanted to see if the pushrod would pop back out again. The PTO clutch engaged, and I gradually increased the engine rpm. The belt-pulley pushrod moved out and in a bit, but it did not pop all of the way out. With the engine throttle wide open, I started to mow the grass. The pushrod did not pop out again.

(I got about three-quarters done when a light rain started to fall but I kept mowing because the grass is really growing quickly at this time of year and we are in for a couple of days of rain.)

This business of the pushrod popping out soon after engagement of the PTO has happened maybe four or five times previously during the past several weeks, always when the mower deck is attached. The mower deck grease points have been properly greased per the recommended schedule. The blades turn freely, as do the belt which directly drives the three blade spindles and the various pulleys on the deck. There is no predicting when this popping-out will occur, but it seems to be when I am first starting a mowing session. The popping-out has not occurred more than once in a given operating session, but it is otherwise completely intermittent.

When I was done mowing and was sipping a cup of hot tea and wearing a dry sweater, I popped the hood on the tractor and took a look at the pushrod arrangement. It is spring-biased, but I see no means of adjusting the biasing force (e.g., no adjusting screw).

The only theory that I have come up with so far (with the able assistance of a knowledgable fellow Model 4500 owner) is that the biasing spring may have weakened, and that I should ask my dealer to ship a replacement spring, then install the replacement spring upon its arrival, and see if there is any difference in the pushrod's behavior. The tractor is coming up on two and a half years old, and is still under warranty.

Before I contact my dealer about this issue, I thought that I would pose the question here: have any of you experienced something similar, and if so, and if you have rectified it, how did you rectify this behavior?

Thank you very much in advance for any replies.

/ Re: PTO Pushrod Pops Out Every Now and Again #2  

I suspect one of two other sources for your problem. Check belt tension. If too loose, the pulley or sheave that the PTO arm controls would not be firmly held in its cammed over position and thus bounce out. If too tight, that pulley would not be able to reach its cammed over position and thus still jump out. Belt tension is adjusted by loosening a nut on a small lever at the left of the pulley and rotating that lever slightly. The other source could be the small rubber and plastic guide or ferrel where the PTO rod passes through the hood. If the rubber is torn or out of the plastic part, the rod fit will be too loose and engagement could be erratic.

You would have probably noticed if the belt was too worn or damaged or if the belt guard is bent against it.

prs

/ Re: PTO Pushrod Pops Out Every Now and Again

I suspect one of two other sources for your problem. Check belt tension. If too loose, the pulley or sheave that the PTO arm controls would not be firmly held in its cammed over position and thus bounce out. If too tight, that pulley would not be able to reach its cammed over position and thus still jump out. Belt tension is adjusted by loosening a nut on a small lever at the left of the pulley and rotating that lever slightly. The other source could be the small rubber and plastic guide or ferrel where the PTO rod passes through the hood. If the rubber is torn or out of the plastic part, the rod fit will be too loose and engagement could be erratic.

You would have probably noticed if the belt was too worn or damaged or if the belt guard is bent against it.

prs

Thank you very much for the suggestions. I will check them out in the morning and will report back!

Best,

John

/ Re: PTO Pushrod Pops Out Every Now and Again #4  

Definitely check the main pto belt. I just changed mine out and the new belt is much more firm/solid. The belt showed signs of belt separation. B38 belt, you can grab one from napa. Also as prs said there is an adjustment for the tension.

/ Re: PTO Pushrod Pops Out Every Now and Again #5  

Forgot to mention that my rod was occasionally popping out without using any pto driven implement.

Definitely check the main pto belt. I just changed mine out and the new belt is much more firm/solid. The belt showed signs of belt separation. B38 belt, you can grab one from napa. Also as prs said there is an adjustment for the tension.

Thanks, zm, I will do that. I keep a complete set of spare belts on hand, in an air-tight container, just in case Murphy (as opposed to Murph) visits. If the belt shows any signs of wear, I will replace it. I will report back!

/ Re: PTO Pushrod Pops Out Every Now and Again #8  

Thanks, zm, I will do that. I keep a complete set of spare belts on hand, in an air-tight container, just in case Murphy (as opposed to Murph) visits. If the belt shows any signs of wear, I will replace it. I will report back!

?????

I finally got around to dealing with this. The belt showed signs of wear, so I replaced it. I also adjusted the tensioning mechanism, and also adjusted the clutch. My feeler gauges told me that the air gap was approx. 21 thousands of an inch, so I adjusted the three spring loaded bolts.

I ended up removing the hood and the grille to change the belt and to adjust the clutch. I really do not see how a clutch adjustment is possible with the hood and grille in place.

The popping-out issue appears to now be history.

Thanks to all for their comments and suggestions!

/ Re: PTO Pushrod Pops Out Every Now and Again #10  

I adjusted my electromagnetic clutch this past Spring. I also had to remove the hood and grill as a unit to get to two of the clutch windows. My clutch was at spec in one window and too tight in two. I have done this same clutch on other equipment and realized that the solution was to bring the loose one into spec first, and then slightly loosen the others to get spot on.

Your wear this early on (if it is wear and not just how it was from the supplier) leads me to suggest that you consider your engagement practice. It is best to always engage at the lowest RPM that does not stall the machine, typically 2,000 and to disengage at near slow idle speed (to save the safety brake). Engaging at speed and under load will wear it quickly, my previous neighbor discovered that the hard way on his Deere compact.

prs