Used 4231 opinions

/ Used 4231 opinions #1  

cstamm81

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740, Mahindra 3016HST, Kubota F2880
Sorry to start a new thread here, but I haven't gotten any new responses since I found another Ventrac I'm considering.
I just found a 4231 with the Briggs gas motor. 1400 hrs, guy buys and sells used Steiners. He bought this one from a guy who moved to SC, that guy was the original owner, homeowner use only. It has foot control, 72" finish mower, snow plow, all new Hydr hoses filter and fluid. No 3 point hitch, which I assume can be added?
He's asking 12,000. Any opinions on this unit vs a used 4227 Kawasaki gas? As I understand it the 31hp gas Briggs used to be the most sought after model. I appreciate any and all input.

/ Used 4231 opinions #3  
I did look it up and it is liquid cooled, lot of hours, can you get parts? the diesel was a looser no parts. If the oil wasn't changed get enough for a sample and see how it is. Jim

/ Used 4231 opinions
Yes it's a liquid cooled Briggs. My research shows nothing but praise for that motor, reports of 4000 plus hours.

/ Used 4231 opinions #5  
Like I said do an oil sample and have it analyzed. Very cheap ins. to know if anything is going bad....... You can also front and rear trans axles, then you know the condition of the tractor...... Jim

/ Used 4231 opinions
ok thanks for the advice.

/ Used 4231 opinions #7  
Yes it's a liquid cooled Briggs. My research shows nothing but praise for that motor, reports of 4000 plus hours.

Why did they quit using it?..... had to be a reason. they still use the air cooled Briggs and the Kabota's. It was replaced with the FI. Kawasaki ...... Jim

/ Used 4231 opinions #8  
The engine manufacturer stopped producing it when the more restrictive emissions standards took effect in 2013.