JackIL or others - ?change gear oil in contour mower?

/ JackIL or others - ?change gear oil in contour mower? #1  

prs

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 650, Ventrac 4500Z AJ02248
Not so much "if", but how? How does one go about draining and replacing the gear oil in the box. In the parts diagrams I see no provision for a drain on the bottom of the box and I see no access to a drain from under the center deck even if there was one there. Do we use a hoist to stand the entire mower up in a vertical position and drain from the "fill/check" hole. Or, turn it up-side down and drain it by removing the top vent (there may be a bearing under there in the way - I forgot to check that. Or (hopefully) there is a drain that can be used with mower deck in normal level position?

Not "due" by the book yet, but if my experience with similar gear boxes on John Deere mowers is relevant, the gear oil is getting pretty well shot after 200 to 300 hours.

prs

/ JackIL or others - ?change gear oil in contour mower?
So far, the best solution I have come up with it to use a vacuum tool and small diameter curved pipe to pull the old gear oil out. Maybe a better idea will pop-up before I change this winter.

prs

/ JackIL or others - ?change gear oil in contour mower? #3  
I have no experience with changing oil in that gearbox nor will I ever get any since I have recently traded my Contour Mower in on a new 72 inch Side Discharge Deck. It is outstanding. Trash accumulation on the radiator screen is far less than with the rear discharge Contour Mower.

I suggest you talk with the Service Department at your dealer for their advice on changing oil in the gearbox.

/ JackIL or others - ?change gear oil in contour mower?
Congradulations on the new deck, Jack! I am sure it will serve you well.

I appreciate your response even if you did not have the answer this time (that is a rare event).

Enjoy the mow!

prs