Mowing along flower beds

/ Mowing along flower beds #1  

BenjaminPQ

Tractor
Steiner 430 Max
Just picked up a Steiner 430 Max with 60 in deck, slip scoop, and plow. Love the tractor with one exception. I hate the roller on the back of the deck. I have my yard set up so I can mow right up to the mulch but this doesn't work well with the Steiner because the roller drags across the mulch and makes a mess. You would think they would have allowed the blades to reach a little farther than the roller for cases like this. Anyone know of a fix for this? Is there a different deck I could get or maybe a kit that replaces the roller with wheels?
Thanks!

/ Mowing along flower beds #2  
Steiner and Ventrac decks are designed with full width rollers to produce striping like you see in parks, stadiums, and many homeowner lawns. Your request to have that capability removed is very unusual and probably cannot be accomodated.

/ Mowing along flower beds
Steiner and Ventrac decks are designed with full width rollers to produce striping like you see in parks, stadiums, and many homeowner lawns. Your request to have that capability removed is very unusual and probably cannot be accomodated.

Striping has never been important to me so I would certainly give it up. I know a really good welder. Maybe I'll try to modify my deck.

/ Mowing along flower beds #4  
Striping has never been important to me so I would certainly give it up. I know a really good welder. Maybe I'll try to modify my deck.

The roller on a Steiner is a pain, but always thought about narrowing it up some because of the way it is mounted. It will also dig in on a transition from a slope to the level where the Ventrac doesn't..... Jim

/ Mowing along flower beds
The roller on a Steiner is a pain, but always thought about narrowing it up some because of the way it is mounted. It will also dig in on a transition from a slope to the level where the Ventrac doesn't..... Jim

Yep, that, too. It's a weird design for a tractor that is a hill climber.

/ Mowing along flower beds #6  
Ventrac makes a 72" deck with a 12" offset that might be a choice for you. I do not own one so can't say for sure. Maybe a nearby Ventrac dealer would let you demo one.

I have a lot of beds and trees on my property and use a zero turn to trim around prior to mowing with the Ventrac. The Ventrac turn radius does not lend itself well to close mowing around landscaping.

Good luck!

Bruce

/ Mowing along flower beds #7  
BPQ; before Ya think I have a small yard, I have a large yard and fields with trees and features to be missed. I use my walk behind push mower to outline yard features and the string trimmer to trim and edge. Give youself some safety margin at first and you find that this crab steering bastage really can steer with precision enough to git'r done.

Mow on...

prs

/ Mowing along flower beds #8  
I kind of like the off set front wheel of the new deck, it keeps it out of the crushed brick I have going around inside corners. It works well going around shrubs and flower beds it is just good, if I could ever get the cylinder to tilt it...... Jim

/ Mowing along flower beds #9  
I just bought the new deck with Tilt wouldn't go back for nothing. Also a Thumbs up for the power bucket with extenders. Great for doing mulch.