Ventrac 4500 Engine Opinions

/ Ventrac 4500 Engine Opinions #21  
If you pick it up by pushing down on the attachment then articulate it away then set it down and keep doing it till you are free. don't try to use the travel at the same time. Jim

/ Ventrac 4500 Engine Opinions #22  
Yeah....

So when my wife wrapped it around the corner post of a newly installed high tension fence, the machine only had 5 hours on it. I was too paranoid to pull the machine laterally (only because I have terrible luck and figured I would end up damaging the unit somehow someway). So....I cut the corner post off with a chainsaw and drove the Ventrac off. Eh, $15 corner post and an hour of work later, everything was back to normal.

I chalked it up to a great $15 lesson to learn - don't articulate against gravity and a tight spot.

Wish I had learned in just one lesson.

prs

/ Ventrac 4500 Engine Opinions #23  
I can tell you guys never run equipment ....... I know the hydraulics are kind of anemic but it will still work. I guess if you had a 992 that slid in against you would cut the tree down ? you walk it away with the articulation ...... Jim

/ Ventrac 4500 Engine Opinions
Thanks everyone for all the feedback and ideas. We've got our closest Ventrac dealer bring out a demo unit to our place next week. Looking forward to trying it out on our actual slopes!

/ Ventrac 4500 Engine Opinions #25  
Thanks everyone for all the feedback and ideas. We've got our closest Ventrac dealer bring out a demo unit to our place next week. Looking forward to trying it out on our actual slopes!

Please share your initial feedback from the demo. And also, try to let your wife have a little seat time.

/ Ventrac 4500 Engine Opinions #26  
I can tell you guys never run equipment ....... I know the hydraulics are kind of anemic but it will still work. I guess if you had a 992 that slid in against you would cut the tree down ? you walk it away with the articulation ...... Jim

Not sure I get this. If you are on the side of a hill and you push down on a mower as soon as the tractor front wheels lift off the ground the mower guide wheels pivot and turn into casters and the tractor slides further down the hill. How do you keep the front guide wheels from pivoting? Thanks.

/ Ventrac 4500 Engine Opinions #27  
I don't get how you get hung up on a tree or pole either 28 years now of running steiners and Ventrac and never once did that, I still don't know what the issue is , just lack of seat time is my guess.

/ Ventrac 4500 Engine Opinions #29  
I will try again for the last time. Do not try to travel........ pick it up with the hydraulic. and articulate the center pin away from the problem, then set it down pickup the implement and articulate the other way and repeat till you are free or straight up and down on the hill and travel away...... if you try to travel while doing it you just aggravate the situation ....... Jim

/ Ventrac 4500 Engine Opinions #30  
IMO the diesel Is for owners eho have others diesels and an off road fuel supply on site. If you will be lugging 5 gallons cans to refuel I'd go gas, since road diesel is more expensive it doesn't make sense . The Kwai 31 DFI burns 1.2 gph and the 25 diesel only bests it by .1 gph, The cheaper gas makes up for the higher consumption. It was stated earlier in this thread that the diesel will outlasts the gas engine . That's just a blanket statement and isn't true in this case. The gas Kubota will last at least as long as the diesel .The Kawi is also LC and will last longer than a typical air cooled gasser. All these engines run at 3600!rpm even the diesel . Diesel engines last longer usually due to running lower rpms and heavier duty construction the diesel Kubota doesn't gave either attribute over the gas options

Hi, Raw Dodge!

You make a good point about the robustness of the Kubota gasoline engine in the Model 4500Z as compared to the Kubota diesel engine in the 4500Z. It is my understanding that the engine blocks in those two models are essentially identical.

I decided to go with the Model 4500Y for a couple of reasons.

First, one of the filling stations that is closest to our house sells off-road Ultra Low Sulphur diesel fuel. So, the cost of fuel does not include road taxes and is somewhat less than the on-road diesel fuel that is sold at the same filling station.

Second, I have a 1,000-gallon in-ground tank for heating oil, and can tap into that in a pinch, e.g., during a widespread and prolonged failure of the commercial electric-power grid.

Third, I was concerned about potential problems with ethanol. I have run into such problems with fuel for my chain saws despite the fact that I always use fuel stabilizer at the recommended dosage rate. Diesel fuel is much more stable than gasoline.

The latter was, to me, the most serious issue.

Yes, I certainly would not mind an additional six or seven horsepower, but I have found the Model 4500Y powerful enough for my needs.

Best,

JJM