Steiner 440

/ Steiner 440 #21  
If it's not a high use machine for you, why not buy used? I got my 430 from a customer who was downsizing. Less then a 1000 hrs, snow blower, slip scoop, 60" mower, aerator, $9000.00 CDN about five years ago.

/ Steiner 440
Thanks for all the input. I have not tried to mow the 30 degree part of my yard sideway with the Kubota. Don't think it would make it, but mow it up and down. I have tried to find a used Ventrac or Steiner but a decent on is priced fairly close to the new 440 Steiner. I think I would like the Ventrac better but with specials pricing with discontinuations of the 440s I'm getting one around 5-6k less than a Ventrac. I don't think they are that much better. From what I can tell the only difference in the 450 Steiner is the hydraulic weight tranfer system and it is priced similar to the Ventrac's. Yes there are dealers much closer to me but not nearly as cheap that is the reason for driving extra 150 miles. I have decided on buying the Kubota Gas since reading in many forums etc. this is the only one with needed power and durablitiy. Hope I not making a mistake since these things cost as much as many new vehicles. As stated I have a couple JD ag tractors in 55hp and 75hp and have many attachments for them including a loader on one of them. So this thing will be a mower only for me.

/ Steiner 440
I assume the Ventrac vs Steiner is like the Ford vs Chevy debate. You will find people that like each and think they are the best. But in all honesty the Ventrac does look like the better built machine. Maybe the increased competition from Steiner will keep them a little more honest and competitive. From what I have gathered that Steiner slacked off on marketing and sales in the last few years but have got serious about selling their machine in the last year or so. One of the dealers in OH that I called said they sold 20 4500s last month. That is crazy on a 25-28K mower.

/ Steiner 440 #24  
From what I read they went to a stacked hydraulic pump on the 450 eliminating the v-belt to drive the second pump like on the 440. I think you will be very happy with the 440. Yes it is a difficult decision spending that much money for that small of a piece of equipment verses a sub-compact, compact or even an AG tractor. I went through the same thing trying to justify the cost + cost of attachments. In the end though, I am glad that I did.

/ Steiner 440 #25  
I can remember back when we got a 2020 JD. and a 3 bottom mounted plow for 5200.00...... I know what you mean, it is hard to justify the kind of money they want for a lawn mower...... Jim

/ Steiner 440 #26  
I also have the 440 steiner with dump bucket 72 finish mower and the rough cut attachments, currently have approx 230 hours on motor which is a 40hp kohler. Minor issues have come up with use, but it is a work horse we mow approx 20acres of hillside and valleys and clear thick vines and brush with the rough cut. The hydraulics are powerful , and it will climb like a mountain goat have the turf tires on her. The issues that have come up are drive belts for implements they do tend to wear out rather quickly, and throttle control is not set up for feather adjustment just open or idle (mostly). gearing needs to be different for both low and high (little faster for low and little slower for high. only other issue had hydralics hose fail early on but replaced under warranty. Steiner not set-up for fancy looks just hard work.. got mine from local dealer in Johnson city, tn. been good to work with. I traded a scag in to get the steiner after a couple of hillside break-aways and off to the races ride down the hill....lol.

/ Steiner 440 #27  
I also have the 440 steiner with dump bucket 72 finish mower and the rough cut attachments, currently have approx 230 hours on motor which is a 40hp kohler. Minor issues have come up with use, but it is a work horse we mow approx 20acres of hillside and valleys and clear thick vines and brush with the rough cut. The hydraulics are powerful , and it will climb like a mountain goat have the turf tires on her. The issues that have come up are drive belts for implements they do tend to wear out rather quickly, and throttle control is not set up for feather adjustment just open or idle (mostly). gearing needs to be different for both low and high (little faster for low and little slower for high. only other issue had hydralics hose fail early on but replaced under warranty. Steiner not set-up for fancy looks just hard work.. got mine from local dealer in Johnson city, tn. been good to work with. I traded a scag in to get the steiner after a couple of hillside break-aways and off to the races ride down the hill....lol.

I had simular experience with a zero turn on hills here, it's gone with less than 50 hrs. Till you get a couple of uncontrollable rides on a zero turn, they have no idea what you are talking about. ... jim

/ Steiner 440 #28  
Yeah. A friend brought around a brand new big commercial diesel ZT. Said it would mow the steep grade behind the house. He skidded down that hill and put the machine back on the trailer.

/ Steiner 440 #29  
Yes sir, they are for flat land or at least a place to land when the slide is over... Wet grass is a NoNo on a hill but the Ventrac takes it in stride.... jim