Steiner 440

/ Steiner 440 #1  

Hunter1001

Tractor
Steiner 440
Hello Folks,
New to the forum, would like some input. Have read every post with regards to engine size on Ventrac and Steiner mower. I am in the process of buying a mower. Was sold on Ventrac but once I checked with a Steiner dealer I discovered that a Steiner equipped similarly is priced $4000.00 less. So I guess I will be buying a Steiner. My question is which engine? The dealer has both the Kubota diesel and gas. I will be running a 72" deck with dual wheels setup cutting on slopes 30 degrees much of the time. I know on paper the gas is 7 hp more but having several diesel machines over the years I realize HP is not always a true reflection of how a machine will perform. I am leaning toward the diesel but don't want to make the large investment only to learn my mower is underpowered. Any input will be appreciated. I have seen people state the diesel is underpowered but appears to be people that have not had experience with the machine but rather making an observation based on HP ratings.

/ Steiner 440 #2  
Can't you ask the dealer to let you demo both?

I had a Kubota Gas 430, old and abused, but considered it a sweet running motor. I just don't like gassers. Fiddling with Chokes and so on. Maybe that's changed with EFI, I don't know.

The little Kubota Diesel is also a very rough idling motor. Unlike the Gas.

I find, if the grass is long, to just cut downhill, then no power is used to climb the hill as well as cut.

For what it's worth. I have a very discerning friend. He had a 430 Diesel, it burned, bought a 440 Diesel, and now another 430 Diesel for the wife. He runs Duals full time, and seems to really like the machine, for mowing mostly. He doesn't have much in the way of slopes as far as I know.

It's too bad, they don't make a 72" Rear Discharge Mower. I have little use for Side discharge mowers. I recently traded a 60" SD for a 72" SD, just for fun, and am surprised that the 430 Diesel handles it as well as it does.

Last edited:
   / Steiner 440
No, since I don't have a dealer close to my house. I will be driving 280 miles to pickup the mower.

/ Steiner 440 #4  
I hope that's round trip.

Are you cutting up and down or sideways? I have duals, I rarely use, as I cut up and down and they are of no great use for that. I use them more for swamp work. They look really cool, but detract from the small footprint of the machine.

/ Steiner 440 #5  
DSC03187.JPG

Swamp work without duals. Old 60 SD mower.

Sorry, I get excited when there is talk of Steiner/Ventac. Not enough on here.

/ Steiner 440 #6  
Check the specs on the motors. I like diesels. We are moving over to it almost exclusive but I know one of the manufacturers only rates the 30% slope mowing with a specific engine. Something about the engine oil or the sump not being able to support the side angle

Brett

/ Steiner 440
Unfortunately the distance is one way. I mow sideways on about 5-6 acres. Up and down on 3-4 acres, hoping to be able to mow more of this sideways but about 1-2 acres has no where to turn at the bottom and with the Kubota B7510 I have been mowing with it is not possible to turn. I know the Kubota has a 21hp diesel motor and seems to have good power even in stuff that really should not be mowed with this type of mower, like knee high grass.

/ Steiner 440
Has anyone turned over a Ventrac or Steiner with Duals on?

/ Steiner 440 #9  
DSC04087.JPG

Nah, just without.

Not sure if duals would have helped. Too sharp a turn on a hillside with this gravel loaded roller.

/ Steiner 440
Thanks for the pic, guess anything is possible! I assumed with the dual would be very hard. At least that is what I hoping since I am will only be using this thing to mow. Very expensive mower. I have a couple of JD ag tractors to do everything else with. Might be a good option for people that need several attachments and don't have space or funds to own a big tractor. But as a pure mowing machine 22-28K I feel is a large investment. I really wanted the articulated 7ft deck until I found out it was over 8K for the deck alone.