Getting ready for winter.

/ Getting ready for winter. #1  

prs

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 650, Ventrac 4500Z AJ02248
This will be my first winter where I will be prepared to use the 4500 for snow removal. I have the rotary broom now and this has done well in clearing chestnut burs from my long driveway and today I brushed the leaves over the far bank (the wind may put them right back). I have always used my compact utility tractor with 8' grader blade to remove snow and it has always served well, but is a little slow in the big snows. Today, I removed the outer tire/wheels and boosted the pressure of the remaining inners to 10#. I will be due for routine service soon and then I should be pretty well set, but I may need a new battery, the OE one seemed a bit sluggish the past few cold starts. I cheaned it and it is on charger now, will have it tested tomorrow.

prs

/ Getting ready for winter. #2  
This will be my first winter where I will be prepared to use the 4500 for snow removal. I have the rotary broom now and this has done well in clearing chestnut burs from my long driveway and today I brushed the leaves over the far bank (the wind may put them right back). I have always used my compact utility tractor with 8' grader blade to remove snow and it has always served well, but is a little slow in the big snows. Today, I removed the outer tire/wheels and boosted the pressure of the remaining inners to 10#. I will be due for routine service soon and then I should be pretty well set, but I may need a new battery, the OE one seemed a bit sluggish the past few cold starts. I cheaned it and it is on charger now, will have it tested tomorrow.

prs

I replaced my battery about a month ago. Probably didn't have a battery problem but I've got other issues going on. I'm not going to get into that yet. The fix for my ails should arrive by Wednesday.

/ Getting ready for winter. #3  
My 3PH snow blower arrives Monday afternoon. It's a WoodMaxx 60 inch. I believe it's a good unit, I suppose I'll know this winter. Can't put it on yet because the tractor is headed to the shop soon.

/ Getting ready for winter. #4  
Plow frame install,fuilds filters change,all points grease,coolant check etc. etc. rather do it first part of Nov. than problem mid winter.

/ Getting ready for winter. #5  
BX backhoe removed and stored. Rear snow blower installed and greased, etc. BX oil/filter changed, FEL greased, all fluids checked.

/ Getting ready for winter.
If we all get prepared for snow, maybe there will be little of it. Fat chance??

The battery did not test well, but I did not buy one at the auto parts store as they had 51 L and not 51 R, plus the price was too high. I will shop around. So far, Sam's Club seems to be the best bet.