Ventrac with Steiner Chipper Shredder

/ Ventrac with Steiner Chipper Shredder #1  

Cullowhee

I am leaning toward purchasing the Ventrac 31 hps gas mower and am looking at attaching the Steiner PTO Chipper Shredder which I understand is made by Bear Cat. I note in other posts that Jack Il has a Bear Cat Chipper Shredder and I note that he has a Ventrac mower. Jack did you buy the Steiner which is adapted to a front feed PTO or did you buy a Bear Cat and adapt it or perhaps you are using it on another tractor. I am interested to know if anyone has any experience with the Steiner 4in. Chipper Shredder. Thanks <font color="blue"> </font> <font color="blue"> </font>

/ Ventrac with Steiner Chipper Shredder #2  
Dave,
The photo shows my Steiner Chipper-Shredder attached to my Ventrac 4200. As you note, the Steiner unit is made for them by Bear Cat. The Steiner unit is a mirror image of the Bear Cat 70554. I don't think it would be reasonable to start with a Bear Cat standard unit and reconfigure it for the Ventrac or Steiner. After all, the work has already been done for you if you buy the Steiner.

In the photo you can see that I have modified my unit by adding 3 wheels. The rear caster wheel is not visible, but it is located in the middle just in front of the hitch arms. I did this because the chipper is very cumbersome to "horse" around when parked in a storage shed. With my wheels, it is just like a reverse tricycle and rolls with ease. When parked, the front 2 wheels serve as the parking stand and the rear caster is slightly off the ground.

The front 2 wheels and axle can be easily removed. This is necessary when pivoting open the blower unit for cleaning or to change knives.

I initially used this chipper on a 20 hp Steiner. It worked OK, but was a little slow. With the 31 hp Ventrac the chipper really does very well and will work you to death to keep up with it.

The only thing necessary to directly attach the Steiner CS to a Ventrac 4200 is to use a different size belt.

Since the photo was taken I have also added a light that glows whenever the chipper is turning. I made this from a bicycle generator - light. When you shut off the PTO, the chipper continues to turn for a very long time. A good friend of mine lost the tips of 3 fingers in the chipper chute because he did not check to make sure that the rotor had stopped. I can take so photos later if you want to see the details.

Please let me know if you have more questions.

JackIL

Attachments

• 445661-VTwCSsm.JPG
    445661-VTwCSsm.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 2,433
   / Ventrac with Steiner Chipper Shredder #3  
Dave,

This shows the rear caster wheel on the Chipper Shredder.

JackIL

Attachments

• 445666-CS Wheels sm.JPG
    445666-CS Wheels sm.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 1,424
   / Ventrac with Steiner Chipper Shredder #4  
JackIL, what is the black vertical column that rises behind the far side of the chipper?

/ Ventrac with Steiner Chipper Shredder #5  
Bob,

The black column is the exhaust chute from the blower attachment. This is an additional accessory that is not standard with the base chipper-shredder. It blows the chipped and shredded material into a pickup bed or some other box for transporting the chips to where they are needed.

I have never understood why some chipper-shredders simply eject the material right back onto the ground. That means you have to scoop up the chips into a trailer, wagon, or truck to take them where you want to spread them out. Therefore, it was a no-brainer for me to get the blower attachment when I got the Chipper-Shredder.

JackIL

/ Ventrac with Steiner Chipper Shredder #6  
I found a photo showing the warning light I attached near the safety shut-off switch on the Steiner Chipper-Shredder. The bicycle generator is inside the small box on the main belt shield. The generator runs directly on the belt at the rotor, so any time the rotor is turning whether under power or by inertia, the generator is producing electricity for the warning light. When all rotation stops, the light goes out.

JackIL

Attachments

• 445685-Warning Lite sm.JPG
    445685-Warning Lite sm.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 1,085
   / Ventrac with Steiner Chipper Shredder #7  
Just a quick and perhaps dumb question.... is this a belt or hydraulic driven unit?

Thanks, Rip

/ Ventrac with Steiner Chipper Shredder #8  
Rip,
Totally belt driven.
JackIL

/ Ventrac with Steiner Chipper Shredder
Jack, Thank you for your help. I ordered the Ventrac today with the Steiner Chipper. It was great to have the input from someone who actually owned one.

/ Ventrac with Steiner Chipper Shredder #10  
Well it is nice to have another Ventrac owner on TBN. I think there are 3 of us now???