Ventrac 3000 versus PT422

/ Ventrac 3000 versus PT422 #1  

Bob_Skurka

Hey guys, just a follow up on a discussion I started long ago (well several months back anyway) about the Power Trac equipment versus Ventracs and Steiners.

Today I have a PT422 in my yard, in addition to my Ventrac 3000.

First off, the PT is a far better tractor at tractoring.

But that said, I am very glad I own the Ventrac.

For slopes, the PT is not even close to as capable as the Ventrac. The PT is not as stable, and it is very stable. It is also not as capable of climbing while powering implements.

The mower on the Ventrac is better, the cut is better. My main objective when buying was to buy the best mowing machine that would work on slopes. PT is very good on slopes. Ventrac is better. PT is good at mowing. Ventrac is better.

However, when it comes to FEL work, even baby stuff like moving mulch the Ventrac simply cannot keep up. PHD, amazingly easy with the PT.

So my hat is off to you PT guys. I still love your stuff, but I bought the right tool for my situation. The PT is not without its limits, and my property proves that to me today. Perhaps a larger PT would compare more favorably to the little Ventrac, but then that would not be a very fair fight, afterall, we were comparing a more powerful PT to the Ventrac 3000 today.

I will say this, if I didn't have the NH, the Kubota and the implements that go with them, then I think there would likely be a Ventrac parked along side a PT in my garage, and there would not be the need for another tractor out in the yard.

/ Ventrac 3000 versus PT422 #2  
Bob,
Thank you, thank you, thank you for a real side-by-side, honest comparrison of two machines. It is very refreshing. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

<font color="blue">I bought the right tool for my situation </font>

You made your check list, did your research and came up with a winner... I can't say enough about the time you put in looking for the right tool for your needs and then sharing that information with us here at TBN. I really appreciate it.

So how was that power down post hole digger? I'm think about getting one in the next year or two. What is your soil type(s) there?

/ Ventrac 3000 versus PT422
I'll admit the PHD on the PT422 works a lot better than a rear PHD on a CUT! I have heavy clay soil on the top land where the fence went in, they guys brought out a 2 man PHD and it would not dig so they installed the auger on the PT422 and it dug right in. I've never had trouble digging with a PHD using a CUT, but lining up the holes is much faster with the PT.

I think a PT425 probably would have been better at climbing the hills and powering implements at the same time, but that is a much larger machine than the Ventrac 3000. In fact, the physical size of the PT422 is larger than the Ventrac, but it seems like a pretty close apple-to-apple comparison.

The versatility of the PT is overwhelmingly superior. But that said, the Ventrac is a much better mower and much better slope "garden" tractor. The PT is more than a "garden" tractor.

/ Ventrac 3000 versus PT422 #4  
They need to make a higher lift on the Ventrac. Then they'd have it all. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Moss, I actually like the slip scoop on the Ventrac more than I ever imagined I would. Sure the lift is only about 12" but for moving materials, it is great. Becuase of the inclines, I have used the scoop to haul decorative concrete blocks to build a planter on a slope. . . we tried pulling the tractor cart on that slope but it rolled over and it had a smaller load than I put into the scoop.

I think the only way to get greater lift height on the Ventracs would be to increase the machine size. Given my purpose for the machine, that would be a bad trade off.

/ Ventrac 3000 versus PT422 #6  
Bob,

Larger Ventracs ( 4100 and 4200) can be equipped with a "standard" loader in addition to slip scoops. The attached photo shows my 31 hp 4200 with a "standard" loader along with an Earth and Turf Top-Dresser Spreader. The loader bucket has a 9 cubic foot capacity, and the lift height at the bucket pins is 77 inches. The Top-Dresser holds about 20 cubic feet. I will be using this set-up to spread a compost produced by the Davenport, IA, Recycling Facility.

I also purchased a set of pallet forks for the loader. (See next post.) In addition a hydraulically driven auger attachement is available for the loader with auger diameters ranging from 6" to 30."

A very wide range of Ventrac attachments is available to make them very versatile units. In contrast to PT where the primary focus is on the loader, the Ventrac focus is primarily on mowing and turf applications with a secondary, but non-trivial, focus on loader work. Their capability to operate on slopes of up to 30 degrees with duals is the primary factor that meets my requirements.

Venture Products refers to these as Turf Tractors. I think the term "garden tractor" is not applicable to Ventrac 4100 and 4200 power units--they are much more versatile and capable than the term "garden tractor" implies.

JackIL

Attachments

• 478753-VTLdrETSprsm.JPG
    478753-VTLdrETSprsm.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 1,632
   / Ventrac 3000 versus PT422 #7  
Pallet Forks on Ventrac Loader

JackIL

Attachments

• 478754-Mvc-006s.jpg
    478754-Mvc-006s.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 1,770
Jack, I was aware of the other attachments for Ventrac's larger models, but I was trying to stick with the original intent of my original threads. Both threads were started during my search, one was on the Garden Tractor forum, where we went through about 10 pages of debate looking for the best garden tractor. The other was here in the PT section where we actually started out looking at the Steiner 230 and the smaller PT units and it evolved from there. So to be true to the original posts, I felt it was best to simply limit this discussion to the little Ventrac 3000. It is also why when all this was debated on the PT forum before I bought the Ventrac, I kept looking at the smaller PT machines. I think the PT425 could probably handle my slopes and mow my lawn, but the trade off would have been a significant increase in both SIZE and COST so that is really not an apples to apples comparison.

Now if we want to get into a PT425 versus Ventrac 4100/4200 discussion . . .

/ Ventrac 3000 versus PT422 #9  
There you go! That setup looks great. How hard is it to take off the loader and put the mower back on?

/ Ventrac 3000 versus PT422 #10  
MR,

The loader mounts or dismounts in 2 minutes or less. The same is true with all other attachments. The loader also has a quick-tach system for the working tools and buckets.

JackIL