Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 2210, John Deere Z820A, John Deere 345

Default Re: Daytona, my In-Car Cam view

My Bride gave me a Richard Petty Driving Experience for Christmas a few years ago. It was terrific! I only wish they'd had the video when I did my drive at Kansas Speedway, but this video was a good reminder.

Let me tell you that it's not as easy as it may look if you've never done it. A friend of mine did it at Las Vegas before me, and warned me that it isn't easy forcing yourself to drive into the corners at speed. He was right. Your natural instinct is to stay away, which is why it's easy to turn too soon. I also had the same issue for a lap or two as in the video, because I also wasn't keeping the car high enough coming out of the turns. Again, until you get some comfort, your inclination is to get away from the wall.

The instructor in the video did a good job. Let me tell you that I was impressed with how they handled taking people off the street, most of whom have never been that fast in any vehicle, and keep them safe. When you are driving, you want all the input from them that you can get!

If you get the chance to do a drive like this, it will give you a whole new respect for the professionals. It's pretty easy to slip into the thought that it must be easy, because they make it look that way when you're safely at home watching it on TV.

A few months after I had my drive, I had the opportunity to take the family to the track for a lap in our Suburban-my Bride, my my MIL, BIL, SIL, and our two nephews and our neice. We never went over 55mph, and while we were supposed to follow the car in front which was in the center of the track, I cheated a little and pulled the Suburban over to about 5 feet off the wall on the backstretch. From the reaction from the family, you'd have thought we were going to punch through the wall! It's just hard to explain unless you've done it......At least that time, we did have a video camera rolling, and it's one of the best family memories we have!

If you get the chance, do it!
    GGB

"We have met the enemy and he is us." -Pogo/Walt Kelly

Tractor
    YM3810D Yanmar

That was pretty cool thanks for sharing it bet it was harder than it looks! I lmao at the donut comment good one haha!
    Yanmar YM3810D, LT duty 3pt hoe, 6' KK2 tiller, 6' KK box blade, 6 1/2' KK disc, 5' Howse bush hog, 5' Howse back blade, 9" Yellow PHD, 3 Husky chain saws 346XP NE, 359, 372XP. 07 HD Heritage Softail, Crack injectors, check compression, take 2 beers and call me. "Hey you didn't build that."

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

I've worked at Pocono Raceway for 32 years. Been on track twice each year and have only been up to 140. I was driving the pace car at the time. Wouldn't take my truck that fast.
    Any of you guys get up my way, drop me a line. I'll try to hook up on Friday or Saturday and give you the whole tour.

Tractor
    Foton 404

GGB .... That was ''right on the money'', as far as my feelings behind the wheel. As you say after a few laps your comfort level increases, I left the pit 10 secs behind the first car, and at the last lap I was 5 seconds behind him.
    I was close to doing the drive around in my truck last year, at Homestead, but, I had the 5th wheel RV hooked up to it, and was not allowed... lol. you should post your vid on youtube....
    IkeR... It would be neat to visit and tour Pocano, thanks for being avail. for us all, I think someone living close to you will do it..
    Anyhoo thanks all for looking and taking time to post...
    John

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    massey GC 2400 JD LA 145

Went to a promise keepers event at Charlotte Speedway, was surprised at how steep the turns were. There was a kid sitting on a clipboard and sliding down the turn. One of my buddies is in an electric wheel chair and he ran into the wall and scuffed the paint on his chair. He said "That's where I hit the wall in turn three at Charlotte".

Tractor
    Foton 404

Quote Originally Posted by Ed of all trades View Post
    Went to a promise keepers event at Charlotte Speedway, was surprised at how steep the turns were. There was a kid sitting on a clipboard and sliding down the turn. One of my buddies is in an electric wheel chair and he ran into the wall and scuffed the paint on his chair. He said "That's where I hit the wall in turn three at Charlotte".
    I bet that chair will not be fixed up......lol good one

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12