Scythe vs Weedeater

/ Scythe vs Weedeater #1  

Daver1963

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L2800DT w/LA524 FEL, Cub Cadet XT1
Not even close.

/ Scythe vs Weedeater #2  
Sure he beat the guy to the short end of the field but was barely able to swing the scythe at the end of the course. The weedwhacker guy didn't look to be slowing down at all. Make that course 3 times as long and see how the scythe man feels at the end but better have some oxygen and ambulance ready

/ Scythe vs Weedeater #3  
My scythe of forty years ago was the answer to some wheat harvest and prairie grass over the septic fields. Although I still can put in several hours on the Sthil Brushcutter, I wouldn't last fifteen minutes on the scythe. And in this current heat of summer, even the brush cutter is a challenge. Side by side, years ago, men worked all day with the scythe. One can only imagine that.

/ Scythe vs Weedeater #4  
I have 2 Stihl line cutters that get a lot of use.
I also have a scythe that gets used, frequently.
Each has it's advantages.
The scythe is quiet, fast and clean.
I can grab it out of the shed, trim a small area and have it put away by the time I've fueled and loaded the line magazine on the line trimmers.
It's a great workout for my poor old back.
If I keep the blade sharp, I can mow with it all day - provided there's something cool to drink.
It lacks the line trimmer's attraction to chain link fences saplings & T-bars.

/ Scythe vs Weedeater #5  
It's about the same as splitting wood-I am sure that for an hour, with straight grained wood, I am more productive with a Fiskars maul than my splitter. Make it a long day, throw in some knotty pieces, and it's a different story!

Will

/ Scythe vs Weedeater
I'm trying to picture the Grim Reaper with a weedeater! :)

A challenge, but done.

GrimReaperwithweedeater_zps1186fac3.png

/ Scythe vs Weedeater #8  
Don't " mess with the old man with the....Uh.. weedeater" :eek: