Little wood cutting yesterday

/ Little wood cutting yesterday #1  

MMfrompa

Silver Member
Tractor
3 RK's

/ Little wood cutting yesterday #2  
Set of forks and a quick attach for your tractor (assuming there isn't one already) would make your life much easier. Rather than have to get off and chain the tree to the bucket, you simply drive up and lift it. Additionally, you'll find forks WAY more useful than a bucket for moving all kinds of things on pallets or whatever.

1/3 cord basket for shop:

enhance

Also cutting rounds in the woods, stacking them in tractor carryall, then handling again at the splitter I avoid....you're making an extra step of work for yourself. Simply buck the tree up in whatever lengths come out of the woods easy (usually 8-10' for me), you can carry twice as much, or more, on the forks. I keep a skidding winch on the back tractor when working wood (don't have the nice level ground you do, so it helps a lot), but if you really want to haul out wood, use a set of hay forks on the back and load more log lengths on it....4-6' easy to handle stuff....your trip out of the woods will be 3 times more productive than now.

enhance

/ Little wood cutting yesterday #3  
I never saw or thought about using a chain to pick up the logs. I've been using my grapple and there is always a 7 foot long log left over after cutting off the ends. Your way is a lot smarter!!!

/ Little wood cutting yesterday #4  
You need a set of forks. They'll make your life a lot easier. You'll rarely use the bucket after you get a set. I saw your video of delivering wood over a good distance. You could have moved more with forks. IMG_0467.JPG

/ Little wood cutting yesterday #5  
I load my truck with the tractor bucket. That's about all it's good for. Forks are way better for the rest of the process. IMG_0785.JPG

/ Little wood cutting yesterday #6  
I got a set of ssqa forks. I anticipated using them more doing wood, but only really use them for pallets and moving implements.

Grapple all the way here.

/ Little wood cutting yesterday #7  
I got a set of ssqa forks. I anticipated using them more doing wood, but only really use them for pallets and moving implements.

Grapple all the way here.

Well, he doesn't have a grapple either. I used the grapple almost exclusively doing wood until I sold that machine. Now I'm down to a pallet fork and bucket machine. The pallet forks are a vast improvement over the bucket.