What is this implement?

/ What is this implement? #11  
Dig it out of the timber. Take some good pics. Advertise it on craigslist. You might be pleasantly surprised. Nothing to lose.

/ What is this implement? #12  
My friend, you have no idea how right you are.

It was a day job to install, and half a day to remove according to my grandfather, which is why the 3 point hitch was such an amazing development when it came out. When they mounted these pieces of equipment; whether it be undermount plows, cultivators, hillers, or belly mowers...as much was done as could be before switching out the implements.

I would not feel bad about chopping the implement up though. Unless you have a tractor it can fit on, using scrap steel to build other implements is going to benefit you more than trying to find an old tractor restorer who wants an undermount cultivator. I am nostalgic as the next person...probably more so...but repurposing old implements to live on with implements that are more practical has its place too. (I do it all the time)

Yes it was a pain to install but so nice to use as you could look forward and see what you were doing. The 3 pt cultivators had you constantly twisted and they also tended to swing as you turn, i.e. you turn left and it swings right. You were turning left to line it up better so it swung right to take out more corn while you were getting it straight.

/ What is this implement? #13  
As others state, it's a cultivator with crop shields attached and has a value to collectors. I've bought and sold a few of similar models over the years and a couple years ago had someone drive six hours one way to buy a Ford set that I had for sale. At times they can be hard to sell so you have to be patient.

I would spray it with diesel fuel, take some clear pictures for later use and then store the implement in the barn and out of the weather. Figure out exactly what it is and have supporting historical photos and then advertise for sale on Craigslist.

Last edited: