What is this implement?

/ What is this implement? #1  

devodad

Silver Member
Tractor
JOHN DEERE
This question is most likely for some of the more “seasoned” farmers out here. For a while I’ve been trying to gather up some scrap metal for some equipt. reinforcement and what not and I found this in middle of my woods.. This thing has a lot of solid steel parts that I could cut up and use, but before I do that, I thought I’d at least try to find out what it is or was. Let me know what you think.

Image1524020395.003984.jpg
Image1524020414.090963.jpg
Image1524020431.683072.jpg

Last edited:
   / What is this implement? #2  
Looks to be a row crop cultivator probably was mounted to the front, middle or rear of a tractor.

/ What is this implement? #3  
Looks to be a row crop cultivator probably was mounted to the front, middle or rear of a tractor.

Definitely. John Deere (by the color and the shape of the shields) that mounted between the front and rear wheels and then probably had a track loosener shovel behind the tractor.

/ What is this implement? #4  
Somewhere there is a John Deere collector looking for that. :D

Pictures of similar types from an image search:

1938 JOHN DEERE B.JPG

1949 John Deere A.jpg

/ What is this implement? #5  
TBN members always amaze me.... somewhere, someone, has seen something! :thumbsup:

/ What is this implement? #6  
I grew up with a 4 row mid mount row crop cultivator just like that, on a 4020. The shields drop down so you don't cover your small 2-4 leaf beans. We grew Pinto beans. I thought we were MAJORLY moving up, when my Uncle came home with a used 6 row machine!

/ What is this implement?
Wow! I never would have guessed that thing would mount beneath a tractor, but it does resemble these other pictures.. Must have been a heck of a job to mount it for use. Maybe I shouldn’t cut it up for fabricating. Maybe somebody could refurbish it. Thanks for the feedback.

/ What is this implement? #8  
Wow! I never would have guessed that thing would mount beneath a tractor, but it does resemble these other pictures.. Must have been a heck of a job to mount it for use. Maybe I shouldn稚 cut it up for fabricating. Maybe somebody could refurbish it. Thanks for the feedback.

My friend, you have no idea how right you are.

It was a day job to install, and half a day to remove according to my grandfather, which is why the 3 point hitch was such an amazing development when it came out. When they mounted these pieces of equipment; whether it be undermount plows, cultivators, hillers, or belly mowers...as much was done as could be before switching out the implements.

I would not feel bad about chopping the implement up though. Unless you have a tractor it can fit on, using scrap steel to build other implements is going to benefit you more than trying to find an old tractor restorer who wants an undermount cultivator. I am nostalgic as the next person...probably more so...but repurposing old implements to live on with implements that are more practical has its place too. (I do it all the time)

/ What is this implement? #9  
it would make wonderful "yard art" until you find a creative new life for it. I'd put it on display until you figure out how to destroy and rebuild it.

/ What is this implement? #10  
Looks to be an implement - difficult to instal and a nightmare to adjust. Not something for the "hobby farmer".