WTB Screw Type Log Splitter or Cone

/ WTB Screw Type Log Splitter or Cone #1  

TractorGuy

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 4310 CUT, Ford New Holland 575E Industrial Backhoe, John Deere F725 Front Mount Mower
Want to buy an old bark buster or similar screw type log splitter. Prefer a complete PTO driven unit but will consider any type or parts.

/ WTB Screw Type Log Splitter or Cone
Parts are available on eBay.

LINK: screw log splitter in Business and Industrial Supplies | eBay

DANGEROUS TOOL. Be careful.

Yes I'm aware of the dangers when used as directed and also aware of all the Foreign sources for parts.

I am hoping to find a complete vintage American made unit.

What I want to try is to remove the platform and guards and be able to back the unit into a stump to see if it will split stumps in the ground. I will add side guards to prevent the thing from turning my tractor over if it binds and put a grade 2 shear bolt on it to start.

/ WTB Screw Type Log Splitter or Cone #4  
My wife's grandfather had one attached to the rear wheel of a car. He jacked up the rear axle and controlled the throttle with a cable control and split hundreds of cords with it. Don't know what ever became of it. Good luck in finding one!

/ WTB Screw Type Log Splitter or Cone #5  
I see one on Craigslist from time to time. Try search tempest, it can search craigslist all over or within _____ miles of your Zip. Ed

/ WTB Screw Type Log Splitter or Cone #7  
If you split a stump in the ground you still have a split stump in the ground. What good will it do? You'll still have to dig it out and the roots will still be attached. Just curious. :confused:

If you split a stump in the ground you still have a split stump in the ground. What good will it do? You'll still have to dig it out and the roots will still be attached. Just curious. :confused:

I'm thinking it will be easier to dig out in thirds or fourths than a whole stump with the full perimeter connected to roots. It's going to be an experiment so I don't want to sink too much time and money into it. The 3 point above would be within reason if it was closer to me.

/ WTB Screw Type Log Splitter or Cone #9  
I think you could do the same thing with a chainsaw. It would trash a chain, but still cheaper than this experiment. Renting a stump grinder for the weekend would be the easiest method.

I think you guys are missing the point. With this device I can back into the stumps and split them without getting off my tractor. Then I can put my digging spike on and dig out the pieces. If it all works I don't have to perform any manual labor to speak of.