Welding 101 or how to improve for low cost.

/ Welding 101 or how to improve for low cost. #1  

cityfarma

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L4400
I have been slowly improving my welding by practice but today found a way to improve faster. I bought an automatic darkening helmet. I can now see where I am putting the stick and adjust the darkness so I can see where I am welding. The improvement is worth the cost.

The only problem I have found is that you have to remember to actually drop the mask down before trying to weld:D I got used to just striking an arc and left the mask lifted. Fortunately it did not strike and only gave a short flicker.

Cityfarma

/ Welding 101 or how to improve for low cost. #3  
3RRL said:
Yeah, those are great. It really helped me too.
What kid did you get?

I saw those advertised somewhere for $120 or so. Is that about normal? Is it battery operated or what?

/ Welding 101 or how to improve for low cost. #4  
Harbor Freight has several different models.... on sale they are around $50... or a little more... There are numerous TBN threads/posts on autodarkening helments.... general wisdom seems to be that not purchasing the bottom of the HF line is best, but the 2nd helmet up from the bottom has worked just fine for many... I have one, works fine for me. Then, there are those who are adamant that they won't use a HF helmet for this purpose.

/ Welding 101 or how to improve for low cost. #5  
I got the Harbor Freight $49 one and it works perfectly good for me. It was a tremendous improvement over "flipping down" just prior to starting an arc. It made it so much easier (for me) to see where I was touching off. I know there are many models and some of them are more expensive with better features, but mine works great for me.

/ Welding 101 or how to improve for low cost. #6  
texasjohn said:
Harbor Freight has several different models.... on sale they are around $50... general wisdom seems to be that not purchasing the bottom of the HF line is best, but the 2nd helmet up from the bottom has worked just fine for many.
I thought mine was the cheapest HF model and it works fine. For this beginner, it moved me up from fumbling around to getting some real welding done.

But I'm going to replace it with their big-window model so I can look through the lower half of my bifocals. (I can't just use reading glasses, I need the astigmatism correction.)

/ Welding 101 or how to improve for low cost. #7  
I remember now that one factor to look at is the time it takes for the lens to darken... also, the field of view/comfort.... Obviously, there are folks who are very pleased with the entry level helmet.... Point is, you can get one that works from HF without too much wallet pain.

/ Welding 101 or how to improve for low cost. #8  
Save some $ if you only need the lense kit (already have an arc welding shield).

Mine has an adjustable switching time that you can set: slow or quick. Works for gas, too. Many don't realize you need a light filter for gas cutting and welding.

/ Welding 101 or how to improve for low cost.
My helmet was was a Aus$85 special. Made in China. It has variable sensitivity and variable filter darkness. It is powered by a solar panel and lithium battery. There where many brand name models that would probably be better for those using it all day. These were much more expensive.

Now all I have to do is decide which of my projects to get onto first:confused:

Cityfarma

/ Welding 101 or how to improve for low cost. #10  
I have a Miller auto darkening helmet. Some of the best money I ever spent. Greg