Northern Tool Welding Helmet

/ Northern Tool Welding Helmet #1  

Jarrett

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130DT
Does anyone have this welding helmet from Northern Tool? It has a very quick response time and a very attractive price. Also, what are the pro's & con's you've experienced with a solar only welding helmet?

/ Northern Tool Welding Helmet #2  
It sure got a lot of positive reviews. I have one of the $250 helmets, which has both solar and batteries, and I wouldn't rate it that high. It easts batteries, even when switched off.

Why not just buy it?

/ Northern Tool Welding Helmet #3  
I bought one 3 years ago. Works great and you can't beat the price.

M.D.

/ Northern Tool Welding Helmet #4  
Jarrett said:
Does anyone have this welding helmet from Northern Tool? It has a very quick response time and a very attractive price. Also, what are the pro's & con's you've experienced with a solar only welding helmet?

I have one of those helmets. It has worked great, with variable shade adjustments. I read somewhere that if they fail, it will fail to somewhere around a shade four. You can test them with a cigarette lighter. I usually look to the side of the helmet on the first arc just to make sure that it is working.

/ Northern Tool Welding Helmet #5  
J_J said:
I have one of those helmets. It has worked great, with variable shade adjustments. I read somewhere that if they fail, it will fail to somewhere around a shade four. You can test them with a cigarette lighter. I usually look to the side of the helmet on the first arc just to make sure that it is working.
I squeeze an acetylene striker to test my helmet.

/ Northern Tool Welding Helmet #6  
I don't own that particular model,but I have basically the same helmet from HF for three years.Just bought the battery operated "skull" model on Friday.I have a problem with the mess in my shop and figure that big red skull outta stand out when I misplace my helmet.I find it cheap enough to replace the whole thing when the lens gets messed up enough not to see through.

/ Northern Tool Welding Helmet #7  
I have that helmet and I really like it. I was using it during the very hot summer months (95+ degrees outside in the shade) and I was looking almost straight down while welding and I noticed that my forehead was dripping saltwater onto the switches. The helmet did fail shortly thereafter but it was not a big surprise given the relationship between saltwater and printed circuit boards. The replacement has operated flawlessly since. I would not hesitate to buy one - you will enjoy it.

If you are in the heat like I was, either keep a slight angle or put a piece of tape over the switches.

/ Northern Tool Welding Helmet #8  
I have the same helmet, it works good. I have had it for @ a year now.
The head gear is junk, I swapped out the head gear with better stuff and I am happy with it now.

/ Northern Tool Welding Helmet #9  
I have one like that and used it for the first time last week and I really liked it. I was welding some fence panels on some gates and using a 135 mig, you would not believe how fast I finished each one. There was no raising the helmet or changing rods.

/ Northern Tool Welding Helmet #10  
Jarrett said:

Don't know about that particular helmet, but I have one from Harbor Freight that is a "solar only" helmet. In response to that part of your question, I can only say that it's never failed to darken properly.

In fact, I find that I usually reach for the el-cheapo HF helmet instead of my considerably more expensive Miller XLix. (And if anyone asks why, I can't really give you an objective answer - I just like it better.)