Welding Bucket Hooks!

/ Welding Bucket Hooks! #1  

xlr82v2

Platinum Member
Tractor
2007 Mahindra 3525, 1952 Ford 8N
Today I added a set of 3 bucket hooks to my Mahindra 3525/ML230 FEL...

Started off with 3 3/8" grade 43 grab hooks with the eye. Cut off the eyes, and ground the backs down so they would have a good base to weld to the baseplates.

And then welded them to 1/4 inch pieces of steel plate, 2"x4"...

Getting everything measured out and set up...

After marking the corners of the baseplates with a centerpunch, I used a grinder with a cup brush to remove the paint down to the bare metal where the weld beads would be...

Another view...

Then tacked all 3 hooks in place before final welding...

The first hook is on!

Slag knocked off of the beads...

The Center hook got welded on and cleaned up...

All cleaned up and ready for paint!

Not exactly Mahindra Red, but pretty close, especially after it dries...

All done!!

Ready to lift!

I've also got some video that I took while I was welding the hooks to the bucket... I'll post it once it finally finishes uploading to YouTube. Nonstop SMAW action, I'll tell ya!

/ Welding Bucket Hooks!
Aquaman said:
Excellent job!!! You're a WAY better welder than I am.
Thanks for the compliment, but, no, I'm not... I just have a little more practice ;). We all start out the same. My Dad (pro weldor) taught me how to stick 2 pieces of metal together when I was a little kid... and I've been playing with metal ever since. I can do vertical OK, but it isn't pretty... not enough practice doing that. Never have done overhead... just never had the opportunity or reason to. But, I need to set up something to do it sometime, just to learn. Dad says overhead is easier than flat once you learn how... I don't see how, but he says it's true. It's all practice... and having a tutor helps tons too. Get a tutor, and then PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!!

You just have to get out there and burn some rods. Learn to watch the puddle, not the arc. Learn to make the puddle do what you want it to. Then your beads will start looking pretty good.

If you can, Learn to weld stick first... then you'll be a MIG master in about 10 minutes. It's not so easy going the other way.

I've got both SMAW (stick) and MIG machines in my little shop... but I'd love to get a TIG also. Maybe someday...:) Also have an Oxy/Propane setup for cutting/bending and brazing. If you're halfway serious about working with metal, I don't see how you can get along without an Oxy/Fuel torch, either acetylene or propane (or other fuel gas)... it's a Must Have.

/ Welding Bucket Hooks! #5  
Hey that movie was a nice touch.

/ Welding Bucket Hooks! #6  
Nice job! Was nice to see that you ground the paint off. You would be suprised at the number of people who do no prep work and expect it to hold and look nice. Give the overhead a try, I used to think it was fun. As long as I had the leathers on anyway.

/ Welding Bucket Hooks! #7  
For those of you who viewed the video, did you notice how the plume of fumes always invariably totally surrounded the weldor's head as they convected upwards. A good strong argument for having a little breeze, natural or fan produced to waft the fumes out of your face. Not a recommended practice, breathing the concentrated fumes.

Nice welding job though!

Pat

/ Welding Bucket Hooks! #8  
When I am welding around hydraulic cylinders, I am always worried about damaging the chromed rod with splatter. I try to cover up vulnerable parts with a welding blanket. Maybe I am too paranoid. I see in the video Brian didn't seem too worried about it.

/ Welding Bucket Hooks! #9  
I should have started by saying nice job.:eek:

-Especially with the pics and movie. Your welding looks like you've had a good teacher. I wish mine turned out as good.

John

/ Welding Bucket Hooks!
patrick_g said:
For those of you who viewed the video, did you notice how the plume of fumes always invariably totally surrounded the weldor's head as they convected upwards. A good strong argument for having a little breeze, natural or fan produced to waft the fumes out of your face. Not a recommended practice, breathing the concentrated fumes.

Nice welding job though!

Pat

Thanks!

When I watched the video for the first time, I was suprised at how my face (the helmet) was right in the fume plume (;)) as well. That was the first time I've seen myself weld.

However, although I could smell the fumes, very little was coming inside the hood... I never felt that they were overwhelming or annoying at any time... as you see in the video, they are convecting upwards, around the hood, and keep going upward... inside the hood is fairly fresh air. I certainly inhaled more smoke and fumes after I lifted the hood than I did while welding, no doubt about it!