MIG welding uphill

/ MIG welding uphill #2  
I believe he's done this before. :D

Wedge

/ MIG welding uphill #3  
Tried this technique a few minutes ago and it makes a much better weld than the downhill method I was using.
Thanks for the tip.:D :D

/ MIG welding uphill #4  
Is that you?

/ MIG welding uphill
bjcsc said:
Is that you?
No, just something I found on youtube that I thought would come in handy here

:)

/ MIG welding uphill #6  
I've got a small Hobart handler 135, 110 volt, in general when welding with gas you want a pushing motion so you keep your gas flowing out front, So that technique makes perfect sense.
I also have an A/C buzz box and a DC portable, I do OK when welding in position (horizontal) but once I get out of position I really struggle. When ever possible I try to flip things over to get the weld area horizontal.

/ MIG welding uphill #7  
In that video the fellow did pretty good only did you see the undercut on the bottom half left side. To bad he couldn't show how it was done during the welding process with a dark lense over the camera. Doing a vertical weld with any process is difficult let alone a MIG.

/ MIG welding uphill #8  
Interesting... I would love to see a similar video on how to stick weld vertical. Like JB 4310, I am always flipping my workpiece over so that I can be welding horizontally... kind of hard when you are working on a bucket or trailer, etc.!

/ MIG welding uphill #9  
I have welded for about 25 years, and that is how I was taught. It has always worked for me except with some really thin material. I think most people would even find vertical welding easier with 30 over 35 wire. I dunno why, but it seems easier. Still with the thin material (i.e. under 1/8") I often create a series of connected "tap" or spot welds that are stitched together. I'd love to see a video like that on overhead welding. Even though I've been welding for a long time, and was taught by my father who has been welding professionally for 45 years, I'm still open for better techniques. It seems that every time I weld overhead I set myself on fire somehow or manage to have hot slag drop inside my boot somehow! :eek: Oh, I can do it and get a good weld that looks decent, but I still hate having hot items drop into my pockets, pant cuffs, and somehow in my boots. :(

/ MIG welding uphill #10  
DARGO:

for welding MIG uphill is done mainly for structural stuff and when using flux core wire. It is customary for me to usually weld downhill for most mig applications on any thing less than 1/4" material if over 1/4" and or using flux core then uphill is better... as far as overhead, yea I set my underwear on fire 2 times in the past, something ya don't want to happen :eek: :(

Mark M