Welding on hydraulic cylinder rod eyelet

/ Welding on hydraulic cylinder rod eyelet
Okay. thanks guys. I will give it a shot with the mig welder guy and have him do it in place with the technique suggested.

Theo

/ Welding on hydraulic cylinder rod eyelet #12  
MJPetersen said:
Extend it all the way out, wrap the rod with a wet rag (as has been stated) [make sure to cover all the rod that travels into the cylinder], grind out the "crack" and weld it with stick or Mig your call. Tig is not necessary. That part is not so important if the welder has enough power to weld the heavy material.

Mike

This is what I have done.. a wet towell wrapped around the exposed part of the rod.. Sometimes i even wrap a piece of metal flashing ove rthe towell to prevent sparks and slag from getting to the chrome.

soundguy

Soundguy said:
This is what I have done.. a wet towell wrapped around the exposed part of the rod.. Sometimes i even wrap a piece of metal flashing ove rthe towell to prevent sparks and slag from getting to the chrome.

soundguy
I have an old welding blanket we can wrap around the outside of the wet towel. I think this is going to work fine as long as we can get in there to do the degreasing and grinding first. might have to use a moto-tool or drill. its kind of tight.

Theo

/ Welding on hydraulic cylinder rod eyelet #14  
Let us know how you make out. As stated tig isn't necessary. Makes for a really nice looking weld but this isn't that type of situation. You need solid penetration and a 230 volt mig or stick will do the trick.

I'm afraid it did not work out very well. made a mess and the weld/flaw looks worse now than it did before. I am totally disgusted. now I have to take it off, clean it up and pay a pro to make it well again. live and learn.

Theo

/ Welding on hydraulic cylinder rod eyelet #16  
Did you grind out the crack, get rid of ALL rust and degrease it 100%? That's the most common reason for poor welds in this situation (at least with me welding!)

You can't just clamp and amp, you must prep.

jb

/ Welding on hydraulic cylinder rod eyelet #17  
Curious.. what did you weld it with? amp setting and rod type, ac or dc, machine style ( stick, mig, gas, etc. )

Almost sounds like the crak wasn't clean and had grease oil in it.. and you didn't use enough amps / correct rod to fill the groove and get good penetration.. or maybee were trying to weld OOP..

soundguy

Best as I can tell, all the right things were done. the result just came out disappointing. I'm sure it is stronger now but it is not pretty. In retrospect, we should have removed the cylinder so that the flaw could be seen and worked at a better angle on a bench. simple as that. no lasting harm done, but now I will need to do what I should have done in the first place.

Theo

/ Welding on hydraulic cylinder rod eyelet #19  
JDeereman said:
I'm sure it is stronger now but it is not pretty. In retrospect,

That's what a grinder is for!!

You want pretty and weak (seen a LOT of those) or ugly and strong (my favorite).

Rob

/ Welding on hydraulic cylinder rod eyelet #20  
Women seem to fall into this same nomenclature for some reason too! :rolleyes:

soundguy