Welding

/ Welding #1  

AGM

Tractor
New Holland TC 30
Hi all. Long time reader this is a great forum. I have a used Woods 6' finish mower that has a crack in the top of the deck. To weld the crack I am going to leave it on the 3pt hitch to raise it off the ground, my back is not what it use to be. Question is do I need to unhook the battery on the tractor before welding?

/ Welding #2  
I've never disconnected the battery. Just put the work clamp close to your weld and you shouldn't have a problem.

Vic

/ Welding #3  
It depends. If you got one of those newfangled tractors with the computer controled engine and transmission I would. If it ain't got nonea that stuff weld away.

/ Welding #4  
I would disconnect it. It only takes a minute a might save you a bunch...

/ Welding #5  
I have never been a believer in unhooking the battery. If you do that, the battery is the only thing you are isolating, the computer and all sensors are still wired up so I think it is pointless.

I have never had any problem just making sure the ground clamp has a good clean connection close to the point you are welding.

/ Welding #6  
AGM said:
Hi all. Long time reader this is a great forum. I have a used Woods 6' finish mower that has a crack in the top of the deck. To weld the crack I am going to leave it on the 3pt hitch to raise it off the ground, my back is not what it use to be. Question is do I need to unhook the battery on the tractor before welding?

No need to unhook the battery. Just make sure the ground clamp is doing its job..even if you have to sand clean a spot to attach it.

Make sure that when the impliment is up in the air..that the crack isnt getting spred open! You MAY want to raise it up and then block it with concrete blocks or ??..and sit it back down on your "supports" if the crack is opening and closing as you lift it up

/ Welding #8  
Hello all. Fairly new to TBN (still learning how to get around the site) A question if you don't mind. I've been playing around with an old Lincoln stick welder. New at welding but am getting better with practice, I think. The old stick welder seems to do a good job but I hear so much about MIG welding. So my question is what are the advantages of MIG welders/welding. I ask because they appear to cost more then a stick welder. Especially for thicker metals (3/8ths 1/2 inch) and I'm curious as to what justifies the added cost?
Thanks

/ Welding #9  
MIG is easier to use and it is easier to weld thin metal. The metal feeding process is automated. Stick welding requires you to maintain the arc gap while the electrode is consumed and the process description is intimidating. I think stick is easier in practice than it sounds. There is also little or no cleanup required with gas shielding.