auto darkening welding helmet

/ auto darkening welding helmet #1  

arrow

Tractor
Mahindra 3016
I notice the non-flip helmets (auto-darkening) for welding range in price from $60 to $300. Speeds of darkening seem to approach each other so I am wondering what would be the factors to cause such a pricing difference?

/ auto darkening welding helmet #2  
I bought a cheapo at Harbor freight and it works fine. I don't weld 8 hours a day though. If I did it for a living I would probably buy a higher priced one for the durability factor.

/ auto darkening welding helmet #3  
so I am wondering what would be the factors to cause such a pricing difference?

Good Evenin Arrow,
Probably whose company name is stencilled on the helmet ! ;):)

/ auto darkening welding helmet #4  
I got a HF one... on sale, without fancy stuff on the helmet... paid attention to the speed of darkening..works fine for me...

/ auto darkening welding helmet #5  
The speed of darkening does matter from the cheaper ones to the intermediate ones, I have had several. also the speed on the "other" side is not as fast to get back from darkness to look at your work and then continue. Size of lens also.some are battery power and some solar.Your eyes are more important than $30-$50 difference, don't go the cheapest route.

/ auto darkening welding helmet #6  
I use a Miller Big Window Elite Miller - Elite Series Welding Helmets
Yes its more expensive. I use it all the time. Variable shade is great. I like having a large window, and my eyes are worth it. Ive tried the Chinese knock offs, they gave me headaches.I have to question their stated response times. Parts arent available locally. Local welding supply laughs at the guys that buy them then try to get parts.

/ auto darkening welding helmet #7  
Here is a helpful E-bay buying guide: BUYING AN AUTO DARKENING OR ELECTRONIC WELDING HELMET.

I bought one of the Miller Performance series from these guys. Good prices, free shipping and it's been a great helmet so far.

I can't speak about the cheap ones because I haven't tried them but my rational was that my eyes are worth the extra $100. At least I wouldn't have the nagging feeling in the back of mind always wondering if I should have spent the extra $$$.

/ auto darkening welding helmet #8  
I weld for a living, and use a auto lens sometimes. The weight becomes a factor after a couple hours so I use a single shade lens, in a light hood. I do not like and refuse to weld with speed glass and other hoods that have none standard openings. The earlier ones now are hard to find cover lens for or parts.

I use a solo 120, and they cost 100 to 150. the speed of the lens is important but I find that the color a bigger factor. The cheap ones have colors that make my eyes hurt.

I would suggest finding someone with a lens and trying it and see how you like it. Better yet try several if you can, see what the diffferance is. Just make sure it has a plastic cover lens on the out side and the inside. It sounds silly but there are several bad accidents from a lens taking a hit and the inside lens breaking and slivers ending up in the welders face. Not much room to dodge things in a hood. And one nice thing about a flash lens is you can grind with the hood on and not get a face full of sparks.

/ auto darkening welding helmet #9  
The electronics are the most important part of the auto shield, thats where a lot of the cost is associated.

As for shopping around and trying to decide which one to buy....... Check the inside of the shield for ANSI Z87, EN 379, CSS, CE ratings. These are a minimum standard for eye safety equipment. Do your homework on the ratings. I have noticed that some of the dirt cheap auto shields do not have ratings marked, which scares me. These shields start at very basic, pre-set autodarkening (you strike you arc and they darken to a set level, no adjustment available). As the prices increase, so does the functionality. With adjustment controls for darkness level, sensitivity and delay.
I have a middle of the road shield that has all of the adjustment above which can be useful depending on your working environment, lighting conditions and the type of welding that you do, (arc, mig or tig).

I dont give in to paying for a name. Sure, Miller and some of the others have sexy looking shields with flame jobs etc to entice the "American Chopper" fans.

Get some advice from a welding supplier and take my advice and the advice of the other guys above. DON'T buy the cheapest. You only got 2 eyes, once they're damaged, they're real hard to fix afterwards.

/ auto darkening welding helmet #10  
You only got 2 eyes, once they're damaged, they're real hard to fix afterwards.

I am not familiar with the new style auto darkening helmet but the attached comment pretty well says it all.:D