Welding Tips

/ Welding Tips #1  
Anyone have any tips on welding set-ups?

Should I get an Arc, Mig or Oxy/gas welding set-up?

I plan on fixing up an old farm and don't really have anything in particular I'd be working on.

I guess I just want to know which would be the most versatile arrangement.

Thanks to all.

/ Welding Tips #2  
You can get into a used "Tombstone" style welder cheap. Id look for a ad/dc machine if possible.Id recommend a Lincoln or Miller. Those tombstone style machines are pretty much bulletproof and dont mind being left out in a barn. It would give you lots of flexability. With the right rods you can weld pretty much anything. "Stick" welding is also alot more forgiving of rust, dirt and grease like you'd see in on farm equipment.Mig would be alot easier to learn but way more $$ to get a machine with enough power to weld farm equipment on a regular basis and would require more prep to the metal before welding.. A used torch would be very handy too for heating and cutting purposes.

/ Welding Tips #3  

Attachments

• DSCN2595.JPG
    DSCN2595.JPG
    984.1 KB · Views: 213
   / Welding Tips #4  
Easiest to learn MIG
Most versatile ARC (stick)
You might want to read the threads already here, A lot of good stuff there.

/ Welding Tips #5  
if looking at lower $ mig machines dont forget it does take alot more time but you can still get good results on thick steels by gouging deep and using multi pass beads. but migs do require good surface prep. and Outdoors wind will reak havok on your shielding gas

/ Welding Tips #6  
For most general farm uses, I would tend to think Scooby has a definite handle on his advice. The old Tombstone welders are pretty much a great starter, and convenient to use. The only drawback is you really need to keep your supply of welding rods moisture free, but that is the same problem you will run into with most welding supplies. If you want to splurge, go with the AC/DC model, as that will give you a little more versitility as you get more profiecent in your welding. A welder, in my opinion is almost useless without it's counterpart, the acetylene torch (or propane,mapp gas,etc) and is a minimum but expensive addition to your welding costs. Minimum in torch investment, but expensive to keep as bottle costs, gas costs, etc tend to raise the level of keeping one of them in the garage/barn. I don't think a repair minded person should be without one, and hopefully you will agree. The safety wear associated with the welder and torch really needs to be looked into, as to protect your EYES and the rest of your body(and keep from burning down the place) Don't forget a good fire extinguisher and don't be welding/cutting near places where stuff will burn.
David from jax

/ Welding Tips #7  
An option as far as bottle expense goes, would be to purchase the small bottles.I pay over $100 a year for lease on my bottles. Around here you cant own the large bottles, but you may be allowed in your area. Its a one time cost, and refils cost pretty much the same on the small personal bottles and the large ones owned by the welding supply for much less gas.And if your buying a torch at the time, you can try to work them into the deal. Another source would be Craigslist or Kijijji.

And as David said, please dont scimp on the safety stuff. You can get burned pretty bad if your not careful.

/ Welding Tips #8  
Get an AC tombstone arc welder from Lincoln. Mine is older than I am and I just started my daughter with it recently making "art". It's like a big hot glue gun.

She was 5yo when my wife took this pic 2 weeks ago.

Attachments

• girlweldsmall.JPG
    girlweldsmall.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 298
   / Welding Tips #9  
I don't know if it has been mentioned , but a mig is only good indoors as the breeze will blow the sheilding gas away and leave a porous weld . The short lead will also stop you reaching something off the ground and the bottle will prevent you hoisting the welder to the job . An arc welder is the best all rounder for a farm .

/ Welding Tips #10  
I don't know if it has been mentioned , but a mig is only good indoors as the breeze will blow the sheilding gas away and leave a porous weld . The short lead will also stop you reaching something off the ground and the bottle will prevent you hoisting the welder to the job . An arc welder is the best all rounder for a farm .

This is true in most cases. Several weeks ago I had to weld something outside and was having great difficulty with my stick welder (I was using the wrong rod for the job but didn't know it at the time) so I loaded my MM175 set up for solid wire & gas up on a pallet, strapped it down and put the forks on the tractor and took her outside and hoisted her up and cranked up the gas flow up to @30 and did what needed to be done.
I was lucky though that the wind was very light.